system dataset and encrypted volumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

asmodeus

Explorer
Hello,

I've set up my FreeNAS system and am burning in disks. While I wait, I'm planning the next steps for the installation and configuration. I'd like to use full disk encryption with AES-NI. The docu mentions that "encrypted volumes will not be displayed in the System dataset pool drop-down menu.".

What does this mean exactly? That an encrypted volume is not available as a location for the system dataset? Or is this a UI limitation and can be done via CLI?

If I only plan on creating one volume with all my disks, what options do I have for storing the system dataset? Where else do you keep the system dataset? FreeNAS is installed on a USB stick and somewhere else in the forums it was suggested not to put the system dataset on USB due to frequent writes.

Last edited:

asmodeus

Explorer
Replying to myself here, but in contrast do what the docu states I was actually able to put the system dataset onto an encrypted volume with the UI.

pro lamer

Guru
@asmodeus :
Is it still there? I mean - whether any system upgrades moved it to boot pool?

If it's still in the encrypted pool, when do you need to provide the password? (You have one, don't you?)

What is your FreeNAS version?

I am considering where to put my system dataset when I build my NAS...

Status
Not open for further replies.