Updating to 11.3 with an encrypted pool and system dataset

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
Today I read 11.3's release notes and found out that it is no longer allowed to move the system dataset to a pool that's encrypted with a passphrase. That's exactly what describes the only pool that I have (besides the boot pool that is on a small SSD) and thus the pool where the system dataset now resides.

How am I to proceed if I want to update from 11.2U7 to 11.3 now? There is nowhere else for that dataset to go...

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
Since the notes explicitly talk about moving the data set, wouldn't that mean that if the data set is already present on an encrypted pool all should be fine for the time being?

I would really appreciate some kind of confirmation from someone from iX on this one.

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
1582449059241.png

Sitting behind my FreeNAS box right now it also indeed looks like removing the passphrase is not an option. Although geli appears to support it: https://serverfault.com/questions/319792/geli-eli-at-freebsd-changing-passphrase

I'm not sure if I feel brave enough to mess with this though.

dodgeandburn

Cadet
I decided to just plunge in and upgrade to 11.3: no issues whatsoever. Good :) .

I'm glad it worked out for you. I would prefer confirmation as well. The documentation appears incomplete. If you can't move it because of XYZ issues then there should be an issue if the dataset is already on an encrypted volume. But it appears there is no issue??

Someone from IX Systems please reply.

MrHans

Dabbler
I was watching this thread to see any follow-up on the topic.

Did you experience any difficulties/problems in the end? If not, then I suppose this really only applies to moving the system dataset.