Upgrade to 11.0 from 9.3 (encrypted disks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naamarauta

Cadet
I am considering about upgrading from 9.3 version to 11.0.

After reading the FAQ I found this paragraph, which I don't fully understand:

2.5.1 The Wizard does not recognize an encrypted ZFS pool. If the ZFS pool is GELI-encrypted and the Wizard starts after the upgrade, cancel the Wizard and use the instructions in Importing an Encrypted Pool to import the encrypted volume. The Wizard can be run afterward for post-configuration. It will then recognize that the volume has been imported and not prompt to reformat the disks.

I got a bit worried as I do have encrypted pools.

Unfortunately I have troubles on understanding the implications. Does this mean that I should definitely first decrypt my disks before updating? Or would the decrypting only be needed if I need the Wizard (which I prolly don't need as I have all the pools set already).

Is there anything else that you would point out if one is considering about upgrading a system with encrypted volumes from 9.3 to 11?

danb35

Hall of Famer
If you do an upgrade, you won't be using the wizard unless you manually invoke it. The wizard is launched when you first log into the GUI of a new, freshly-installed system. Since an upgrade will have your configuration already in place, the wizard won't be a factor.
Is there anything else that you would point out if one is considering about upgrading a system with encrypted volumes from 9.3 to 11?
For safety's sake, make sure you have a good backup of your keys, just in case things go sideways, but there shouldn't be any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.