Error "This geli-encrypted pool failed to decrypt" after upgrade FreeNAS to TrueNAS 12

balano

Cadet
Hi friends,

After upgrade my FreeNAS 11.3 to TrueNAS 12 succesfully, but the pool encrypted with geli.key cannot decrypt with message "This geli-encrypted pool failed to decrypt". I have the backup key but can't find any option to browse to.

Error.png

So how I must do to decypt with available geli key?

Thank you so much

Saw Kyrom

Cadet
Did you happen to find a solution? I upgraded my machine from FreeNAS to TrueNAS and am encountering the same issue. I have the key, but unable to unlock.

Cheers!

Amir Yalon

Cadet
Strangely, I did not have this issue when upgrading from Freenas 11 to Truenas 12. Rather, the issue had surfaced only when the boot disk failed and I had to install a fresh copy of Truenas on the new disk. Importing the pool on the fresh installation would be successful but, once I uploaded the old configuration from backup, there was no way to unlock the legacy encryption from the GUI.

Attaching a monitor to the server, I could see the following message flying by during boot:
Code:
geli: Cannot open keyfile /data/geli/XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX.key: No such file or directory
geli: There was an error with at least one provider.
Attach failed; attempt 1 of 3.

Once I opened a shell and copied the key file to the exact location that was indicated in the error message (thanks to this solution for the idea), the pool was unlocked automatically on reboot. Note that, if the pool had been successfully imported once, before uploading the old configuration from backup, then the correct key would be in /data/geli/ under a different name, so simply mv it to the expected name.