Do I dare mount my encrypted 9.3 pool in FreeNAS 11.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brumwald

Cadet
So, I'm going to keep this long story as short as I can. I had what I believe to be the latest 9.3 but perhaps might not be the absolute very latest. Not sure since the 9.3 train seems gone.

I somehow borked grub (and maybe more) of my mirrored (USB) boot drive. I have a config backup taken just right before it.

I have a geli-encrypted pool that I hope haven't seen any action since the mishap (which shouldn't have affected that volume (then again, there are gaps in my understanding of what went wrong)), the drives have been disconnected during my endless tinkering since.

Current plan: Fresh install of latest FreeNAS 11.0. Then upload my backup config. Then reconnect the drives.

Now, are there any known pitfalls in connecting and unlocking my geli-encrypted 9.3 volume in FreeNAS 11.0? I'm guessing that the ZFS format might need to be updated, any way I could fubar it or is it straight forward in the GUI as if I was still in 9.3 land?

(I don't have jails and don't care for much but the integrity of my data)

m0nkey_

MVP
As long as you have your GELI/recovery keys backed up, you should be able to import into FreeNAS 11 without issue.

brumwald

Cadet
Indeed, I was finally able to import the pool without issue. The numerous issues I had with my borked 9.3 setup scared me a little. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.