Upgrade FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6 -> 11-Stable with Full Disk Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaniel

Explorer
I'm considering swapping trains in the gui to 11-Stable and I have encrypted pool. I have few questions:
* Should I do a backup, or the pool won't be affected? Should I backup some settings etc? Or is the upgrade seamless?
* The geli.key which I download from storage screen - I can use that key during the zpool upgrade process? The passphrase is the passphrase which I always enter after reboot, when I decrypt my pool?
* Should I stop all jails + lock the disk?

Can I go straight away?

Archaniel

Explorer
Update worked flawlessly, all is good

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Should I do a backup,
The answer to that is always "yes", no matter the circumstance.

or the pool won't be affected?
Your data isn't touched.

Should I backup some settings etc?
You should always have config backups.

* The geli.key which I download from storage screen - I can use that key during the zpool upgrade process? The passphrase is the passphrase which I always enter after reboot, when I decrypt my pool?
Encryption doesn't really change from 9.10 to 11.0. Also, enabling the pool's newly-available feature flags is an orthogonal issue to the encryption. You unlock the pool as you normally would and the rest is straight-up ZFS.

ovizii

Patron
@Archaniel I've also considered doing this, would you share your experience or did it all go smoothly?
Any particular reason you switched trains?

@Ericloewe Would you mind expanding on what you meant here:
Also, enabling the pool's newly-available feature flags is an orthogonal issue to the encryption.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The encryption has nothing to do with the ZFS features. It's operating between the drives and ZFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.