sync=always slow on mirrored SSD used as SLOG

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvcad

Contributor
Hi All, newbie here. Am I wrong thinking that setting sync=always on a volume with a dedicated ZIL (SLOG) will have faster write performance? because I am getting different results.
I have a FreeNAS mini XL with 4 off 4TB WD red in Raid Z2 with 2 off 256 GB Samsung SSD used as SLOG (mirrored).
I used LAN_Speed_Test program and I have these results:

Sync = Always Write speed is: 521.9 Mbps
upload_2018-9-5_13-39-59.png

Sync = Standard Write speed is 749.4 Mbps
upload_2018-9-5_13-41-8.png

As you can see I am getting 150% faster speeds with sync=standard.
what am i missing?, should I leave it as Sync = standard?
Is the performance better with bigger files being written?
Would i get better performance if I had a sinlge SSD as SLOG (Not mirrored)?

Dice

Wizard
Nothing fishy.
If you'd remove the SLOG and run the tests again, you'd see why you'd want a SLOG :)

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Sync = Always means that the system returns the "write complete" to the requesting process only when all copies of the data are finished writing to disk.

Normally, with a single log disk or with Sync = standard on a multi-disk setup, the "write complete" is returned as soon as any copy of the data is on disk.

What you are seeing makes perfect sense in line with the above.

The choices you make will determine if your system is skewed toward speed or toward protecting the data (you can't have both).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Am I wrong thinking that setting sync=always on a volume with a dedicated ZIL (SLOG) will have faster write performance?
Yes. Sync will never be faster than async. ZFS caches writes in RAM, and no SSD is going to be faster than your DRAM.

mvcad

Contributor
Thank you all guys, I have a better understanding now. I will be transferring a lot of data from a synology nas to our new freenas over the weekend so I am thinking of leaving sync=standards for the moment to get better performance. this to ensure all data will be transferred over the weekend before everyone comes back on Monday to work. after that I'll switch back to sync=always to get better protection. Does this make sense?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What are you using for the transfer? Sync writes should only help if the server crashes or loses power or something.

Stux

MVP
Normally, with a single log disk or with Sync = standard on a multi-disk setup, the "write complete" is returned as soon as any copy of the data is on disk.

I think that’s not quite it.

Sync always and sync standard have the same behavior for sync writes. The write is acknowledged once the transaction is written to the zil. Which if it’s on a slog will be faster.

Sync disabled and sync standard have the same behavior for async writes, which is that the write is acknowledged as soon as it’s received.

Sync always always writes synchronously, even if the write is async.

Sync disabled always writes asynchronously, even if the write is sync.

sretalla