Switch plex from Truecharts to Official

EnragedZeus05

Dabbler
Hello,

I was hoping someone can help me or point me in the right direction on how to move the plex database over from a plex install on truecharts to plex official. I am having some weird plex issues and im curious if its the charts version thats the issue or something else.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
You'll just need to find the Plex data directory and make sure you copy that over to a location where you can use the official plex chart with a host-volume mount. I don't know offhand where TrueCharts stores it. But you can do a "find /mnt/<pool> | grep 'Plex Media Server'" to locate it.

truecharts

Guru
You'll just need to find the Plex data directory and make sure you copy that over to a location where you can use the official plex chart with a host-volume mount. I don't know offhand where TrueCharts stores it. But you can do a "find /mnt/<pool> | grep 'Plex Media Server'" to locate it.

We use PVC storage, so that all works differently from our side.

But to give some guidance @EnragedZeus05 It's basically the reverse of the PVC migration that is quite frequently discussed on our discord :)

Ashkaan

Dabbler
What's the address to the official chart? When I Google, I just get Truecharts (which has an old version).

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
The official chart shows up in the SCALE UI automatically. However if you mean the backend address, it is here:

Ashkaan

Dabbler
The official chart shows up in the SCALE UI automatically. However if you mean the backend address, it is here:

Oh, I see. I thought the OP meant an official chart from Plex, not TrueNAS. Now I understand. Thanks so much!

Is there a chart with the latest version? (they seem to all be out of date)

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Where are you seeing that we are out of date? We appear to be up to date with the upstream docker container (Run by Plex themselves) which is about a month old now.

Ashkaan

Dabbler
I'm migrating from my old Plex server (Ubuntu) to TrueNAS, and it's been at build 1.30.0.6442 since November 25. 11x days, and the one in TrueNAS is at 1.29.2.6364. Maybe it's because Plex isn't updating their Docker Image quickly?

If that's the case, I wonder if I should just run a VM on TrueNAS. Oh, can I run an LXC in TrueNAS? That would totally solve my dilemma.

fenichelar

Dabbler
Yes, 1.29.2.6364 is the latest docker image published by Plex. I believe 1.29.2.6364 is the latest release in the public channel, so the docker image is up to date. Looks like 1.30.0.6442 is still in the beta channel.

Ashkaan

Dabbler

fenichelar

Dabbler
@Ashkaan I don't think so. I don't think there is a public docker image for the beta channel so I don't think a chart can be created for the beta channel.

If Plex releases a private docker image for the beta channel you could launch it. If they don't, you could make and launch your own docker image.

Ashkaan

Dabbler
Ah ok. Thank you so much!

PS: Does TrueNAS support LXCs? That's another path to getting to my goal.

fenichelar

Dabbler
PS: Does TrueNAS support LXCs? That's another path to getting to my goal.
As far as I am aware, no. So you would need to use a VM if not using Docker.

Ashkaan

Dabbler
Thank you so, so much!