Swapping Motherboard with FreeNAS 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

NASbox

Guru
I'm planning a motherboard upgrade - If I have FreeNAS 11 installed on an SSD. Is the installation custom to the Motherboard, or is it like the older versions where the hardware was detected at boot time? Can I just move the drives to the new MB and boot, or do I have to do a reinstall?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Can I just move the drives to the new MB and boot
Yep. If you've manually configured a network interface, and the new motherboard uses a different NIC driver than the old one, you might need to reconfigure that--everything else should Just Work.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
The installation is not specific to the motherboard, and the system can be moved. The name of the network interfaces might be different on the new motherboard, so you might have to reset or redo the network configuration.

NASbox

Guru
Thanks very much for the info. I'm assuming that I can do that through the console menu since I won't have access to the GUI if the network interfaces aren't active. It's been a long time since I did a setup and the manual doesn't really go into detail. I'm assuming because it's fairly intuitive.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
The only trick can be finding which network interface is which on a multi-interface motherboard. One easy way to check that is to connect a live network cable to only one port, then run ifconfig from the CLI to see which interface shows status: active rather than status: no carrier.

Then type exit at the CLI and use the console menu to configure the network.

Last edited:

NASbox

Guru
Thanks that helped a lot. Just wondering if I delete an interface, is there a way to put it back without resetting everything to factory?

Status
Not open for further replies.