Upgrading from 9.2 to 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobant

Cadet
Hi,

I've had my FreeNAS installation chugging along fine for some time (evidently), but now run out of space and just about to throw 3 new drives into a new vdev to expand the pool, so looking to do some house keeping and bring the installation up to the latest version.

The question is, can I upgrade straight from 9.2 to 11? Can I just follow the upgrade instructions in the documentation to upgrade from the 11 iso (having backed up config before), or do I need to follow another path through the versions?

Any input is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

C

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What version of 9.2? If you're running 9.2.1.6 or newer, update to the latest 9.3 and then switch trains to 11.

Cobant

Cadet
What version of 9.2? If you're running 9.2.1.6 or newer, update to the latest 9.3 and then switch trains to 11.

Hi, thanks for your reply..

It's: FreeNAS-9.2.0-RELEASE-x64 (ab098f4)

Am I in the stone age?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Am I in the stone age?
Yes. Nothing that can't be solved, though.

You'll want to update to 9.2.1.9 first, then 9.3.

Cobant

Cadet
I've updated to 9.2.1.9 > 9.3 > 11 successfully, thanks.

I seem to have a rather odd issue now. The main (only) SMB network share is accessible by all windows machines bar one, which demands credentials? Even when you click on the NAS in the network explorer. Guest access has always been set as allowed on this. Any help appreciated!

exhaler

Dabbler
Hello,

I have the same FreeNAS version as you FreeNAS-9.2.0-RELEASE-x64 (ab098f4) and have a couple of questions:
1. Can i update it through the web GUI or do i need to download the ISO files of each one (9.2.1.9, 9.3, 11)
2. Currently the FreeNAS is booting from a USB, to update it should I burn the ISO image to a CD and run it, or can i put the ISO contents on the same USB and upgrade it?

Thank you

Redcoat

MVP
Step through the upgrade (9.2.1.9, 9.3, 11) from the webgui.

Save the config at each step in case the next upgrade step has problems. Save the config at the end. Your USB boot device will have the latest version active.

exhaler

Dabbler
Step through the upgrade (9.2.1.9, 9.3, 11) from the webgui.

Save the config at each step in case the next upgrade step has problems. Save the config at the end. Your USB boot device will have the latest version active.
Thanks for the info, I was able to find the upgrade webgui Settings -> Advanced -> Firmware update i'm downloading the ..GUI_Upgrade.txz for each update, however for version 11 should i FreeNAS-11.0-U4.debug.txz to update it via GUI?

Redcoat

MVP
I haven't done this but I would think that is correct. I suggest that you look at the 9.3 docs on the User Guide tab in the header here to be sure to follow the expected method for that step - linked here

Redcoat

MVP

exhaler

Dabbler
Thanks for the help Redcoat, i was able to update till 9.3 using the GUI_Upgrade.txz then updated to 11 using the webgui without having to download the ISO file.

Status
Not open for further replies.