Upgrading USB 9.2.x 32-bit installation to latest 9.2 64-bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitin

Cadet
Hi,

I am a bit of a FreeNAS newbie... so please bear with me.

I had a USB 32-bit UFS 9.2.x setup on an old machine. I have discarded the machine now and I am left with my hard disk and USB. I had only configured the structure (i.e. volumes, datasets etc.) of how I wanted to store data in that setup but didn't use it thereafter as I decided to get a newer 64-bit hardware. So actually I can just do a fresh new setup on a new USB with the new hardware.

However, I was curious to know if I could upgrade the old 32-bit installation to the 64-bit one. Is that possible? How does such an upgrade affect the data on the hard disk (I had only one hard disk).

Also, if the above is not possible, I wanted to know what will happen if I create a fresh 64-bit setup with the my old hard disk unchanged. Will I loose all the folders I created to organize my data? Will I need to format the old disk? Does FreeNAS store the data structure information on the USB or the hard disk?

I look forward to your response(s).

Kind regards,

Nitin

danb35

Hall of Famer
OS upgrades do not affect data disks. I'm actually not sure if the GUI will allow you to upgrade from the 32-bit version to the 64-bit version, but you certainly could download your configuration file, do a clean installation of the 64-bit version, and then upload your config.

Nitin

Cadet
Thanks danb35 for the information. Unfortunately, my new hardware setup does not boot from the old USB, but does recognize the USB as I managed to upgrade my mobo bios via the USB. I did connect the USB to USB2.0 port and not USB3.0. So I am assuming that the since my new h/w is 64-bit, it probably is refusing to boot from the old 32-bit FreeNAS USB installation.

Hence my last question in my last message, does FreeNAS store the data structure information on the USB or the hard disk? If it stores on the USB then I will have to export my config by finding an older machine that runs 32-bit... maybe I just have to export it anyways... but I was just thinking if it is really necessary if its on the hard disk.

camilo suarez

Explorer
you have to 1 format the USB and do a clean instalation of the 64bit version, or 2 buy a new USB and install a the 64 bit version there and import your volume and your data will be there, you just have to config again the shares and backup duties if they where set up.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Hence my last question in my last message, does FreeNAS store the data structure information on the USB or the hard disk?
If by "data structure information" you mean the configuration database, it's on the USB boot device. It's going to include the user/group information, volume configuration, shares, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.