Difficulty booting 8.0.4, 64 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctphillips

Dabbler
Hello...

I'm new to FreeNAS, but have some experience with FreeBSD. I am trying to boot the 64 bit FreeNAS 8.0.4 on a SuperMicro X7DCL-3 motherboard. I have a single Xeon processor, 6 GB of RAM installed and 4 SATA drives attached (for now). I can install FreeNAS from a CD to my Kingston 8 GB thumb drive with no trouble. However, when FreeNAS boots, it freezes/hangs/stops dead when it identifies the first hard drive (ada0). I have changed the hard drive, tried changing BIOS settings and reverting to the default BIOS settings, nothing works.

I would like to update the BIOS on this board, but I'm having difficulty with that as well. That's a story for SuperMicro support though.

ctphillips

Dabbler
I figured out my own problem. My optical drive, a Sony Optiarc AD7590A was flagged as a "slave" drive with no master. I changed it to master, re-installed FreeNAS -- and it still froze during boot. However, when I disconnected the drive from the motherboard, FreeNAS began booting normally. I also disconnected the floppy drive at the same time, but I'm pretty sure it's the DVD drive that was the culprit. Could this be some sort of driver issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.