New install on Dell T620

Status
Not open for further replies.

milspam

Cadet
I purchased a new server and cannot get FreeNAS to boot. It stops at the F1 portion of the boot menu/process and hangs indefinitely. I tried using the same process as I did with the Dell T710 (USB emulation changed to hard drive in BIOS), but the T620 doesn't have that option in the BIOS. I've turned ACHI off in the BIOS and same result. If I install to a hard disk, it boots fine.

Dell T620
BIOS 1.5.3 (latest)
4gb RAM
Processor Intel E5620
PERC H310

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Some machines don't do proper USB booting, and some don't work well with FreeBSD and how it works. Considering your post its likely that the USB booting your computer does isn't compatible with FreeBSD. :(

milspam

Cadet
Some machines don't do proper USB booting, and some don't work well with FreeBSD and how it works. Considering your post its likely that the USB booting your computer does isn't compatible with FreeBSD. :(

I think it's just not compatible with this newer hardware on this server. So far it's having issues with the hard disk every 4-5 hours and corrupting data with data loss (about 35gb corrupted per crash). I thought based on my trials with the Dell T710 (it was about a yeatr old) it ran much faster and more efficient than Windows Server 2008, but this new server just isn;t running well with FreeNAS. I don;t think it's ready for primetime in my data center yet. I'll try again maybe in a year or so and see if it stabilizes more with time. I'll consider RedHat or Suse for a few tests, otherwise back to Windows the resource hog...

milspam

Cadet
Just an update on this. I loaded Windows back onto my server, but came across mention of trying nas4free as an alternative. It boots and runs fine on this hardware. Can't seem to figure out why it loads and the newest freenas won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.