Which version should I (re)install after a motherboard replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JprSA

Cadet
My motherboard fried itself back in July and I have only just now got through the RMA process and rebuilt my server. I stupidly left the OS flash drives in the old motherboard when I returned it so they are now long gone and I have a few questions to answer before I'm back up and running:

1) Is there any way to tell which version I had installed?
2) If not, and I was up to date with the latest stable train in July, which is the most likely version I was on? I looked at the downloads page but they all seem to be tagged with the same date.
3) Does it matter? If I grab the latest (v11) will upgrades from any older version be seamless or should I (as I suspect) migrate to the end of the 9.x train before moving to 11?
4) If I have to guess is it safer to run a version or two behind where I think was or a later one?

Thanks, and my apologies for being foolish :)

danb35

Hall of Famer
Do you have a backup of your config file? If so, you'll need to install at least as recent a version as the one that generated that config file, in order to import that config file. You should be fine just going to the latest 11 release, but if you wanted to go to the latest 9.10.2 update first that wouldn't hurt anything.

JprSA

Cadet
Ahh, of course; The config backup! Thanks a tonne. I do have one that's not too old and it indicates the version. Will save me a whole lot of setup time after the re-install as well. I scripted the backup of these when I first set FreeNAS up and didn't even remember they existed.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.