Future of 9.10 & 11.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashes00

Dabbler
Hello all, and good morning! If this has been answered in a place that I could not find, please do NOT bit my head off. I looked for it before posting. Thanks

We have been riding the 9.10 train for a long time as it is/was the stable tried and true branch. However I see that the last 9.10.2-U6 has a release date of 25-Jul-2017. How long will the 9.10 branch continue to get updates? I ask because I do not want to get to far away from the current newest branch of 11.1, and risk an upgrade failure.

Has 11.1 reached a stable solid version that can reliably be used in a small business? We do not use FreeNAS for virtualization, or any other plugins. We only use it for Samba, NFS, FTP, & Snapshots. Is version 11 in the same position as it was back in April 2017, which is the last time I did major research on this topic due to Corral-Kerfuffle?

Thank you kindly for your time.

Ash,

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
How long will the 9.10 branch continue to get updates?
It won't.
Has 11.1 reached a stable solid version that can reliably be used in a small business?
With -U1, I believe so. There are a few remaining issues, but I don't recall seeing major issues posted here.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
There are notes on the trains here: http://doc.freenas.org/11/system.html#updates-and-trains

We have had a couple of releases of FreeNAS 11. The latest is 11.1-u1. I can't speak to how long FreeNAS 9.10 will continue with updates, but note in that train description that it is a legacy version.

FreeNAS 11 is pretty much the continuation of the 9.10 codebase, now on FreeBSD 11, which has ZFS improvements among other things.

ashes00

Dabbler
Hey guys thanks so much for your input. I should have said how long will 9.10 continue to get security patches. I'm deff not interested in any new feature updates to 9.10. I assume at some point 9.10 will reach end of life, and iX will say upgrade to 11.x NOW, or run an unsupported FreeNAS version. Just trying to determine exactly when end of life for 9.10 will be. Thanks again.

Ash,

D

dlavigne

There are no plans to offer security patches for 9.10.

D

dlavigne

Hey Dru has 9.10 hit end of life?

We don't really have an EoL policy defined for FreeNAS (one of the many things in the queue to formalize). But there are no plans to provide security patches for 9.10 as it is based on FreeBSD 10 which is considered to be a legacy release by FreeBSD.

ashes00

Dabbler
We don't really have an EoL policy defined for FreeNAS (one of the many things in the queue to formalize). But there are no plans to provide security patches for 9.10 as it is based on FreeBSD 10 which is considered to be a legacy release by FreeBSD.
Good to know. I was waiting to hear "There will be no more patches for 9.10". Sure glad that I asked. Thanks for all your great help AND Documentation! :)

Nick2253

Wizard
Thank you for this thread. I've been holding off updating to 11.x, and this is just what I needed to get myself in gear and update.

adrianwi

Guru
FreeBSD 10.3 doesn't go EOL until May 2018.

Mr_N

Patron
After what happened with Corral I have not been giving FreeNAS any thought in terms of upgrading and what is next etc...

I'm still sitting comfortably on 9.3-STABLE can someone tell me what the recommended upgrade path is to minimize any issues as I don't have time currently to troubleshoot a failed upgrade!

What is the next stable version? And should I wait for 11.2 or other future versions?

Nick2253

Wizard
In any case, I would recommend updating to 9.10. That puts you on FreeBSD 10, along with various bug and security fixes over 9.3.

Mr_N

Patron
Were there any changes to the encryption mechanisms in 9.10?

Nick2253

Wizard

Mr_N

Patron
k cool 9.10 here i come, just simple as changing the train to 9.10 yeah? :)

Nick2253

Wizard
It should be. I would make sure to make a backup of your config. I don't remember if there are pool feature changes between 9.3 and 9.10, but I would recommend holding off on pool version updates until you've been running with the new version for a while, that way you can roll back (in the rare chance that there is some bug with 9.10 that impacts your use case).

Mr_N

Patron
K so change trains, checked for updates, it downloaded the 9.10 ones and installed then rebooted into new boot environment and poof no gui :|

Had to fiddle with link aggregation to get it working :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.