In case of hardware (boot drive, motherboard) failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

albercuba

Cadet
Hello everyone. I would like to know what are the options after a hardware failure, specifically the Boot Drive or the Motherboard.

1 - In case of motherboard failure can I just take the boot drive and my data disks and put them in another motherboard?

2 - In case of boot drive failure can I just reinstall in a new boot drive and load the saved configuration?

Thanks in advance

danb35

Hall of Famer

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

danb35

Hall of Famer
Different MAC shouldn't require doing anything with the configuration, but different NIC driver might.

albercuba

Cadet
Ok, thanks for the info. what worries me the most is not loosing the data after mainboard or boot drive replacement. The NIC issues can be solved easily later.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Does it also apply to a boot drive that has the system dataset on it?
It should, but you wouldn't ordinarily have your .system dataset on the boot device once you've created a storage pool, and it certainly isn't recommended if you're booting from USB.

Touche

Explorer
It should, but you wouldn't ordinarily have your .system dataset on the boot device once you've created a storage pool, and it certainly isn't recommended if you're booting from USB.
Isn't it the only option if pool drives are encrypted? The manual says so, but the UI shows the encrypted pool in the list for the system dataset placement, so it's not quite clear.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.