Supported USB 3.0 PC Express Controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkuhn

Cadet
I have an external USB 3.0 drive bay (8 drives) which I would like to attach to my existing Freenas system. It's currently attached on a USB2.0 port and works great, however I'd like to increase the speed.

I'll need to add the ports via an express add in card and I've been unable to find anything which would guide me as to whch cards are supported (or even posts of personal experience having success with particular cards). I had a 3.0 card laying around and tried it but no luck (I did enable the usb 3.0 support in Tuneables).

Can anyone suggest where I can find information on which USB 3.0 cards would be supported on the latest stable version of Freenas?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions,
Brad

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Do you mean expresscard as in laptop card? If so I haven't found any that are supported that are USB 3.0. :(

If you mean desktop you should look at the hardware compatibility matrix and then try to find one that's on that list.

And you're the 3rd person in 4 days to ask about USB.. it's not a smart choice but you can read up on that in the forums if you're interested.

bkuhn

Cadet
Thanks for the reply cyberjock. Sorry, poor description on my part. Its actually a server so I'm looking for a PCI Express card.

I'm sure this should be easy, but I'm having trouble locating the hardware compatibility matrix you mentioned. When I search for that I end up with freenas hardware recommendations, but nothing that actually lists compatible/approved hardware.

I'm curious about the issues with USB. I've been having great luck with the current setup, however I'll do some more reading to see what the concerns are. Appreciate that.

Thanks,
Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.