Supermicro X9SCM-F & Kingston Memory Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quinnx

Dabbler
Greetings all,

So after going though the Kingston Memory configuration memory finder it recommend the following memory. (And yes I have read the FAQ's to stay away from Kingston Memroy)

I have 4x http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR16E11_8KF.pdf

Once installed in DIMM 1A & DIMM 2A I get the 5 short beeps + 1 long beep Memory error thus meaning No memory detected in the system. So i remove slots 1A & 2A and the system boots with only the slots in 2A & 2B.

I tried just using slots 1A and 2B with the same memory and the system does not boot, again 5 short beeps + 1 long. Again I tried with all four slots filled and I get the same memory beep error.

Does this mean that the motherboard slots for the 1A & 2A are faulty?

I really hope not as this board came from the USA & I Live in the UK, so it will be a pain to return and thus leaving me with no FreeNas system for a while.

Many thanks for your audience!

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Does this mean that the motherboard slots for the 1A & 2B are faulty?
Assuming you moved the DIMMs around, yes.

It could be the CPU IMC itself (unlikely), CPU socket with bent pins (very likely) or a real PCB flaw (not very likely).

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Just a FYI, per SuperMicro's manual (http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/C202_C204/MNL-1270.pdf) - Page 35 (2-11) :

Memory Population Guidelines
When installing memory modules, the DIMM slots should be populated in the following order: DIMM2A, DIMM2B, DIMM1A and DIMM1B.

Perhaps you simply have a bad memory stick somewhere in the mix?

I would suggest trying out each stick of memory itself in DIMM2A, then if all of them work move on to two sticks in DIMM2A & DIMM2B. If that works, then progress onward increasing the number of sticks and using the recommended installation order (3 sticks = DIMM2A, DIMM2B and DIMM1A).

Perhaps you will find out that one of the sticks are bad (from the first test) or you will get to a point where you can deduce one of the memory slots are bad.

Side notes:
  • I have not checked with SuperMicro to see if this memory is supported by them (perhaps you did?)
  • In the manual it also notes (not sure what CPU you are using...):
For
memory speed 1600 MHz support, an E3-1200 v2 CPU is
required

Quinnx

Dabbler
Just a FYI, per SuperMicro's manual (http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/C202_C204/MNL-1270.pdf) - Page 35 (2-11) :

Perhaps you simply have a bad memory stick somewhere in the mix?

I would suggest trying out each stick of memory itself in DIMM2A, then if all of them work move on to two sticks in DIMM2A & DIMM2B. If that works, then progress onward increasing the number of sticks and using the recommended installation order (3 sticks = DIMM2A, DIMM2B and DIMM1A).

Perhaps you will find out that one of the sticks are bad (from the first test) or you will get to a point where you can deduce one of the memory slots are bad.

Side notes:
  • I have not checked with SuperMicro to see if this memory is supported by them (perhaps you did?)
  • In the manual it also notes (not sure what CPU you are using...):

Hi Mirfster,

All memory modules are matched. When I swap any from 1A or 2A to 2A & 2B the system boots no problem.

• Q: I have not checked with SuperMicro to see if this memory is supported by them (perhaps you did?)

• A: Contacted directly Kingston support who have confirmed this memory does work with this system board. Whilst I can appreciate Supermicro (1.99BN Company) cannot test all memory modules, Kingston (11.9BN Company) have confirmed this memory is 100% compatible.

• Q: In the manual it also notes (not sure what CPU you are using...):

• A: It is a V2 Intel Xeon

I will attempt to follow the suggestion of installing the dims in order as suggested, not sure how that will help if the system is off. How does it know the order of the dimms placement?

Anyway, the dude from the USA is going to send me a new board and ensure that all memory slots are working.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

Mirfster

Sorry, when I mentioned the testing I meant that for each test you would:
  1. Power off the system
  2. Install the memory (while the system is off)
  3. Power it on to see if it would POST properly
However, since you have a replacement board coming in I guess you are okay on that part. Just hope that all the memory modules are good as well.

Quinnx

Dabbler
Sorry, when I mentioned the testing I meant that for each test you would:
  1. Power off the system
  2. Install the memory (while the system is off)
  3. Power it on to see if it would POST properly
However, since you have a replacement board coming in I guess you are okay on that part. Just hope that all the memory modules are good as well.

Ah yes, I understood what you meant. So all 4 modules work in Slots 2A & 2B, but not in 1A or 1B, so again this points to the motherboard memory slot fault.

Mirfster

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Try reseating the CPU (which implies reapplying heatsink grease, etc).

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Because the CPU talks directly to the RAM so if there's a bad contact on one of the CPU pin you can have this kind of problem.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
RAM channels not working is probably the most common symptom of CPU/Socket issues.

JohnK

Patron
Greetings all,

So after going though the Kingston Memory configuration memory finder it recommend the following memory. (And yes I have read the FAQ's to stay away from Kingston Memroy)

I have 4x http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR16E11_8KF.pdf

Once installed in DIMM 1A & DIMM 2A I get the 5 short beeps + 1 long beep Memory error thus meaning No memory detected in the system. So i remove slots 1A & 2A and the system boots with only the slots in 2A & 2B.

I tried just using slots 1A and 2B with the same memory and the system does not boot, again 5 short beeps + 1 long. Again I tried with all four slots filled and I get the same memory beep error.

Does this mean that the motherboard slots for the 1A & 2A are faulty?

I really hope not as this board came from the USA & I Live in the UK, so it will be a pain to return and thus leaving me with no FreeNas system for a while.

Many thanks for your audience!
I had same memory error when adding two more 16gb Kingston modules. Tested every module, adjust the jumpers etc and nothing worked, even reseated the CPU.

Then I took a closer look at the pins and found bent pins!!! The 64gb Kingston working just fine in new board x11ssm. Will fix these pins and will use it for a backup server...

Attachments

• 6816F42F-FDFF-4C6B-98FA-002CAAC7741C.jpeg
    6816F42F-FDFF-4C6B-98FA-002CAAC7741C.jpeg
    301.4 KB · Views: 526
  • F1E6E772-A9E8-473E-AFDF-02B8604CD180.jpeg
    F1E6E772-A9E8-473E-AFDF-02B8604CD180.jpeg
    287.7 KB · Views: 463
Status
Not open for further replies.