Supermicro X11SCH: IP Is Always 0.0.0.0 On Boot

RotsiserMho

Dabbler
Hello,

I've been a longtime FreeNAS user and just assembled a new server based around a Supermicro X11SCH-F motherboard and Xeon E-2246G CPU. I've run Memtest86 and Memtest86+ for hours with little trouble (well aside from booting off the Memtest86 ISO over IPMI) and there are no errors.

Every time I boot the system it greets me with:

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I did a default install of FreeNAS 11.3-U4 onto a 16GB Intel Optane M.2 device. I've tried running "Configure Network Interfaces" and if I do so, and choose a NIC (the motherboard has 2 onboard), then confirm to overwrite the existing settings, I get a reasonable IP and can access the server over my network (192.168.1.42). But if I reboot, this configuration is lost. What am I doing wrong? I've tried disabling the second, unused NIC in the BIOS, but that did not help.

At the same time, I've migrated from an Apple AirPort Extreme to a UniFi USG gateway and UniFi 8-port PoE switch, so I wonder if I've misconfigured something there. The server is connected to the switch and the UniFi settings are all defaults except for the WiFi network configuration and I turned on IGMP snooping to make my Sonos devices happy.

Any ideas? I searched for this issue, but every other instance seems to be related to using a Realtek NIC, but I'm using the onboard Intel NIC. Thanks!

Glorious1

Guru
No real idea here what's wrong. I'm unclear from your description how the FreeNAS server is connected, hopefully not by WiFi. I would try, in the FreeNAS network interface settings, disabling DHCP and give it a permanent local IP address. That might work around a problem in the gateway/router.

RotsiserMho

Dabbler
Oops, I was not clear. I'm connecting the first LAN port on the motherboard (there are 2) via Ethernet to the switch, which is connected to one of the downstream ports on the router. Are there known incompatibilities between FreeNAS an UniFi? Should DHCP be working on boot? It picks up an IP if I choose the option to configure the NIC, but then it's back to 0.0.0.0 on reboot. I'll give the static IP a try.

Last edited: