BUILD SuperMicro X11 build hardware check - First Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

passmossis

Cadet
Hey folks, been doing a lot of research through these forums. Tons of great info! I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on parts for my FreeNAS home server and would like some seasoned eyes to review. Plan for system to have a few jails operating in the first year to include Plex, Minecraft, and torrent.

Motherboard: Supermicro X11SSH-CTF
Processor: Xeon E3-1230 v5
Memory: Could use vendor recommendation, 2*16GB planned for initial
Disks: WD Red 4TB*8
SAS to SATA: Cable Matters Mini-SAS to 4x SATA Forward Breakout Cable*2 (Correct cable?)
FreeNAS Disk: Supermicro 16GB SATA DOM*2
Power Supply: AURUM 92+ 450W Plat
Case: Define R5

Any feedback and/or verification is much appreciated!

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

Dice

Wizard
Last edited:

rungekutta

Contributor
Interesting, as I'm about to pull the trigger on a similar build. However I'm curious why you chose the X11 SSH motherboard with SAS only to then use converter cables into SATA drives - instead of the slightly cheaper X11SSM with 8 SATA ports directly? Or are there other differences as well?

Also - depending on where you will keep the server - but Fractal Design calls the Define range focused on "silent and minimalistic Scandinavian design" vs the Arc series "airflow and cooling configurability". So I ordered Arc Midi R2 instead, based on manufacturer's description and online reviews, although I haven't seen it in the flesh yet. Did you look at this case?

passmossis

Cadet
Thanks for the feedback so far everyone, I was sure I selected the wrong SAS to SATA cables haha.

Runge, I'm going with the SSH for SAS to SATA so that two of the SATA ports can be used for the SATA DOMs and enable some future growth if needed; and possible easier cable management. I'll have to look at the Arc Midi R2 case for sure. I went through the detailed video review for the Define R5 and felt okay with the airflow /cooling design.

joeschmuck

Old Man

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

joeschmuck

Old Man
Wow... 5,44$/GB. I must've missed the big DDR4 ramp-up, this almost makes me want to grab an extra 16GB just because. Makes me feel like upgrading my workstation to an even more useless (for its workload) 64GB...
I hear you. My main computer has 24GB RAM and it was great when I was compiling FreeNAS 8.x on my computer but these days it's a waste of resources, well until I start running VMWare Workstation but that isn't an everyday occurrence.

passmossis

Cadet
All parts in and have the system up on memtest. So far everything is without issue!

d64ab4747e88774a824b2ed154bd6088.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Be sure to check the IPMI log for ECC errors.

passmossis

Cadet
Yep, been checking and the only alert there currently is "no alerts". Time to let it run for a few days.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Might as well throw in a protip:

Press start and type "snipping tool". It sure is easier than taking pictures of the screen. ;)

passmossis

Cadet
You're right, but that's not a freenas pro tip lol.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Press start and type "snipping tool". It sure is easier than taking pictures of the screen. ;)
You can also right click the program and pin it to the task bar and never have to open start and type anything...;)

passmossis

Cadet
So moving forward, going into hard drive testing I've encountered an issue I expected related to the LSI 3008 and the Firmware mismatch.

I've gone through various articles and confident in the steps I have to take to correct; my issue is tracking down the appropriate firmware as outlined by the error.
"WARNING: June 14, 2016, 2:32 p.m. - Firmware version 10 does not match driver version 12 for /dev/mpr0. Please flash controller to P12 IT firmware."

So it's requesting P12 IT firmware. Going through: ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/driver/SAS/LSI/3008/Firmware/
I can only really find 3008_FW_PH10.00.03.00.zip which contains 3008IT10.

Not much luck finding anything within other FreeNAS posts or google searches alike.

What am I missing? Advice?

Thank you

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Frankly, I'd probably just install the stock LSI firmware for the 3008 (look for the LSI SAS 9300 HBA). Supermicro dragging their feet is no fun at all and they have neither P9 nor P12.

passmossis

Cadet
Perfect, thank you. Loaded in the P12 9300_8i_TI, warning notification resolved. Much appreciated!

bahjons

Cadet
I've gone through various articles and confident in the steps I have to take to correct; my issue is tracking down the appropriate firmware as outlined by the error.
"WARNING: June 14, 2016, 2:32 p.m. - Firmware version 10 does not match driver version 12 for /dev/mpr0. Please flash controller to P12 IT firmware."

I'm getting this warning too. Is this something that's highly recommended? Is it going to have an impact if I don't update the firmware?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm getting this warning too. Is this something that's highly recommended? Is it going to have an impact if I don't update the firmware?
Why do you think you get a big warning message? And how could it be clearer, it's literally telling you what to do!
There's only one detail: If you're running an older version of FreeNAS, the warning may show the incorrect version that you should flash - so make sure FreeNAS is up to date.

passmossis

Cadet
I've started mucking around with Jails, I seem to be encountering what looks to be an ethernet driver issue.

ng_ether_ifnet_arrival_event: can't rename node epair1b

I've spotted a few articles that give mention to the same message:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/jail-plugin-dns-issue.20599/
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/intel-nic-driver-issue.43091/

It certainly provides an impact as it inevitably causes the FreeNAS system to panic/reboot. I've updated the system onto the FreeNAS 9.10 Nightly hoping to resolve the issue..

Still searching, but hoping someone may have some leads.

Status
Not open for further replies.