Supermicro X11 board with ECC Detect double-bit error

ryanw

Dabbler
Hi,

Looking to build my second Truenas system. Want to run it virtualized with Proxmox so I can run a few VMs too (Scale not quite doing it for me yet).
I want to 'do it properly' so want full ECC. Reading very many threads that seem to point me at Xeon and Supermicro boards (unless anyone has anything else to throw into the mix?) Need 128GB ECC memory so I think that sends me towards X11 of some variety.

I see on many of the older X10 boards that Supermicro list the following under ths specs:
  • Corrects single-bit errors
  • Detects double-bit errors (using ECC memory)
However when I look at the X11 boards (I think I've now looked at all of the variations!) they only see to list:
  • Corrects single-bit errors
Does anyone know if either:
  1. there are any x11 boards that support 'Detects double-bit errors' OR
  2. have Supermicro just stopped putting it in the specs
If I'm going to all the trouble of ECC, then I at least want to make sure I'm getting the right board to support it.
Any help or guidance most appreciated.

Thanks.

ryanw

Dabbler
Anyone know about this seemingly strange spec anomaly?
I have tried reaching out to Supermicro but I doubt they will ever get back to an individual.

joeschmuck

Old Man
X11 boards support ECC. I'm running an X11 board with ECC RAM. Double bit errors, well I don't know, I don't recall seeing that spec but I wasn't really looking for it either.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Anyone know about this seemingly strange spec anomaly?
Just poor wording from Supermicro, ECC works the same on DDR3 and DDR4.

ryanw

Dabbler
X11 boards support ECC. I'm running an X11 board with ECC RAM. Double bit errors, well I don't know, I don't recall seeing that spec but I wasn't really looking for it either.
Thanks for confirming the ECC piece.

ryanw

Dabbler
Just poor wording from Supermicro, ECC works the same on DDR3 and DDR4.
Thanks Eric - so you reckon they've just stopped putting the bit about detecting double bit on their specs?
Just trying to make sure I don't actually have to find one that specifically states double bit detection.

Arwen

MVP
Yes, DDR3 & DDR4 work the same, detect and correct single bit, and detect double bit, but can't correct double bit.

Their are tantalizing hints that DDR5 ECC includes better detection, 2 x 40 bit data buses. In theory, better than 1 x 72 bit data bus.

ryanw

Dabbler
Yes, DDR3 & DDR4 work the same, detect and correct single bit, and detect double bit, but can't correct double bit.

Their are tantalizing hints that DDR5 ECC includes better detection, 2 x 40 bit data buses. In theory, better than 1 x 72 bit data bus.
Awesome - thanks Arwen. Now I just have to find a board somewhere :smile: