Supermicro X11 LGA3647 boards have been announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

religiouslyconfused

Contributor
https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon1333/#3647
https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/#3647

It appears that Supermicro has their new X11 LGA3647 boards for scalable Xeon CPU's. There will be UP and DP versions and for the first time a Micro ATX board for those who want something a bit more powerful than a LGA1151 system but want to stay within MicroATX. There will be models with Gigabit and 10GBe LAN for those who need the best in lan performance.

Edit: SAS is on the X11SPH boards which are ATX sized.

Last edited:

Stux

MVP
One of the more interesting things about the new Xeons is that 10gbe seems to be available from the PCH, much like the XeonD 'SoC'

religiouslyconfused

Contributor
It does look like a compelling platform if you need a bunch of CPU cores and run a ton of drives, or VM servers. Even those who want to virtualize FreeNAS. You can even get SFP+ if that is how you want to rollout 10gbit ethernet.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm not impressed.

The platform was shifted way upmarket and adds significant cost over Xeon E5 for the low-end. And it's more confusing than ever.

religiouslyconfused

Contributor
I'm not impressed.

The platform was shifted way upmarket and adds significant cost over Xeon E5 for the low-end. And it's more confusing than ever.
I think a LGA2066 Skylake-E server platform would have made a lot more sense for the low end servers that need more power than E3 but still can fit in an ATX case.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I think a LGA2066 Skylake-E server platform would have made a lot more sense for the low end servers that need more power than E3 but still can fit in an ATX case.
Yes. I think Intel is going to end up releasing something to fill in the gap they left. Might be Xeon-D or something closer to the traditional Xeon E5 line.

Stux

MVP
Yes. I think Intel is going to end up releasing something to fill in the gap they left. Might be Xeon-D or something closer to the traditional Xeon E5 line.

Either that, or AMD is going to be the new sweet spot...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Either that, or AMD is going to be the new sweet spot...
They're also doing the very-high-end stuff, so no luck there, for now.

Stux

MVP
They're also doing the very-high-end stuff, so no luck there, for now.

Yeah, but they're not playing games with ECC and they do go down to 4c4t. At the high end you're paying $62 per core.

Status
Not open for further replies.