Supermicro Board Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

74m

Explorer
Hi folks

thanks a lot for you help in my former thread. After many weeks of testing freenas, i want to build a productive system. I think i want to buy a supermicro board with a Xeon or a i3 (3rd gen). The main target is here ECC. I know that c202 and 204 should work in ECC mode with both cpus. Although IPMI is a must have (thanks cyberjock).

Possible Boards are:
X9SCM-iiF (c204)
X9SCM-F (c204)
X9SCL+-F (c202)
X9SCL-F (c202)
X9SCA-F (c204)
X9SCi-LN4F (c204)

All Boards have 6 SATA Ports and should work with my cpu choices in ECC mode. Either they support IPMI. Now i get a little bit confused, because all boards fits my needs. I hope you guys could help my to limiting my choices. I my opinion i could by all of these...

Maybe you have a great hint, which board i should prefer? I think both chipsets are fine?

I would be happy for sharing your thoughts!

Greetings

Dusan

Guru
Buy the cheapest one. The last two (SCA & SCI) are ATX, the rest is mATX, but all of them will fit the case you mentioned. The only difference between C202 and C204 is that C202 has 6 SATA 2.0 ports (3Gb/s) and C204 has 2 SATA 3.0 ports (6GB/s) and 4 SATA 2.0 ports. However, unless you want to use SSDs you won't see any benefit from using SATA 3.0. The last difference between the boards are the network controllers. All the boards have at least one Intel 82574L controller (which is fully supported by FreeNAS). So, unless you want to use more than one controller, any board is OK.

Yatti420

Wizard

leenux_tux

Patron
I'm currently using the Supermicro X9SCL+-f and have been for a few months now after migrating from two systems (master and backups) to one. Obviously it's only a small amount of time that the system has been in use but I'm very please with the performance, even though I only have 16GB of RAM installed. Take a look at my "signature" for the rest of the config

Yatti420

Wizard
Leenux_Tux - What cpu and ram speed are you running?

74m

Explorer
Thank you guys!
This did not simplified my decision, but now I'm sure, that i can take whatever i want - out of the listed boards.

A little bit offtopic, but i think its not worth to start a new topic: As i said above, i wanted to buy a i3 (3rd gen) or xeon - both 1155 socket. Do you guys think its worthwhile to buy a new core i3 (4th gen) or small xeon with a 1150 socket?

For example, the E3-1220 v3 (170 €) or the i3 4330T (120 €) or 4340 (140 €) are also affordable cpus with ECC and AES support (but AES is not so important for me). I'm not sure if i should buy the "older series"? Although i think, that the haswell wont give me a big push over the ivy.

For me its the same thing like my board choice. All cpus should meet my requirements.

Any thoughts of you? o_O

leenux_tux

Patron
Leenux_Tux - What cpu and ram speed are you running?

CPU is listed as "Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G645T @ 2.50GHz". As for the memory I went for a 16GB kit from Crucial "
16GB kit (8GBx2), 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-12800 memory module"

Yatti420

Wizard
the unbufferred ECC dimms are so pricey.. Would almost be nice to get to use DDR3 ECC Registered seems to be everywhere..

Status
Not open for further replies.