Intel S1200BTLR motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Middling

Dabbler
Just thought i'd post a quick note that Amazon UK have these up for under £93 at the moment. The cheapest Supermicro is £158.

The board supports ECC and has basic IPMI (no KVM without an add-on board). It's based on the C204 chipset and the two NICs (Intel 82574 and Intel 82579) are both supported by FreeNAS.

Looks to be a pretty decent board and i think it's the cheapest way of getting ECC with an Intel CPU in the UK. I've ordered one and will followup once i have it.

Datasheet.
ARK info.

Middling

Dabbler
Got the board yesterday so i thought i'd post an update.

One thing to note is that this board ONLY takes ECC RAM. I wanted to do a BIOS update and play around using an old non-ECC 2GiB stick but it wouldn't boot. Using the existing 8GiB of ECC from my n40l Microserver got it all running.

I used an Ivybridge i3 (3225) CPU that i had spare . Everything works fine under FreeNAS. IPMI works using both ipmitool and the integrated web interface. As previously stated no KVM without a chip that plugs into the motherboard, but i don't envision needing this in the foreseeable future.

All in all it seems like a great, inexpensive board for FreeNAS. Since my original post the price has increased to £105, but that's still substantially cheaper than the nearest equivalent Supermicro board.

Status
Not open for further replies.