Intel Pro 1000 MT (PCI-X) Any limitations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfcredfox

Patron
Greetings,

I've been Googling this for while, but I'd like to have some confirmation on this basic hardware question. I know a few of you know this much better than I do.

Question:
Are there are limitations in performance/bandwidth/etc of using a PCX-X 64-bit (133mhz) slot for a quad port Intel Pro 1000 MT?

My research says:
PCI-X
64 Bits
133 MHz
Hot Plugging,
3.3 V
1.06 GB/s (available shared for the bus)

So, granted this is shared bus, but with no other PCI-X cards, there should be a total of 1GB/s or about ~8gbps for that bus/card.

(I don't know if PCIe cards effect that or the IPMI card on a supermico board)

Bottom line: I want to know if there is any reason I shouldn't use a single PCI-X card for a quad port NIC and expect the card to perform at full/best gigabit speeds.

System for question will be:
-x8dtn+ Supermicro dual socket, 72GB RAM ECC
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/QPI/5500/X8DTN_.cfm?IPMI=O

-Two IBM M1015's in both 8x PCIe slots.
-One quad port intel pro 1000 NIC (either in the PCIe 4x slot, or the PCI-X 64/133 slot)
-SuperMicro IPMI

*Edit: I also understand that the EM driver supports all of the following: MT Series, PT Series, VT series of Intel NICs, I don't believe there should be any drive support issues on any of these cards?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
(I don't know if PCIe cards effect that or the IPMI card on a supermico board)
Unlikely. Late PCI-X is implemented with a PCI-e bridge, with other stuff connected normally via PCI-e.

I'd expect latency to be very slightly worse than for an equivalent PCI-e card, since the bus only does half-duplex.

Status
Not open for further replies.