Adding PCI-e storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

filipole

Cadet
Hi all
I have by FreeNAS happily running in the following configuration:
HW:
Platform: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU C2750 @ 2.40GHz (Azrock C2750D4I)
Memory: 16327MB
Storage 8x4TB WD Reds
Mostly used as files storage for document archives, pictures and media; running Plex and Owncloud

I am considering upgrading to 10 and in addition to the above add Windows VM (I'd like to run Adobe Lightroom on it to catalog photographs)
I am thinking doubling the RAM to 32GB, but also considering how I can have the best performance for the VM. So idea is add SSD storage to host VMs (Plex, Owncloud and Windows)

Option one would be adding SATA SSD drive(s), but I would like to keep SATA controllers for HHD is possible.
So other option would be to utilize PCIe 2.0 x 8 slot which is not used and get PCI SDD card.
So
Question 1 is:
Does the above make sense?
Question 2 is:
Will something like MyDigitalSSD BPX 80mm (2280) M.2 PCI Express 3.0 x4 (PCIe Gen3 x4) NVMe MLC SSD (240GB) work well from PCIe 2.0 x 8? Or do I need an adapter?

Thank you in advance.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Why add SSD storage? Have you tested your internal drive throughput yet? If you are running those Reds in a RAIDZ2 then you should have faster performance than a single SSD. Do some testing before leaping into this, but if that is what you desire.

filipole

Cadet
Why add SSD storage? Have you tested your internal drive throughput yet? If you are running those Reds in a RAIDZ2 then you should have faster performance than a single SSD. Do some testing before leaping into this, but if that is what you desire.
Thanks
I didn't do any testing, but thought it is given that VM operation will be much faster if run from SSD. I understand Network is a bottleneck for data transfer, so HDD are fine as file storage, but would think that running anything inside VM is nothing to do with network and hence will be more performant if run from SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.