SuperMicro X10SLL-F will not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Swi

Cadet
I am currently setting up my first NAS and running into an issue. I have a X10SSL-F which will not boot up. I have an I3-4370 and from what I gather may be too new so the board will need a BIOS update. With that in mind I talked to some folks at Microcenter and I asked them for their cheapest Processor that will boot with that motherboard so i can do a bios update. I got the G1840 and now I have the same issue as it will not boot with the one either.

When I say it does not boot I have a monitor hooked up and i do not see anything happen as my monitor just goes to sleep. I can go into a computer on the network and connect to the IPMI and log in and make changes such as what port IPMI but that has not helped me much as not sure I can do anything from there as I have never played with that before.

I have 2 8GB of ram and I have tried just one at a time. I disconnected all of the Hard Drives so I only have the min connected and still nothing.

Anyone have any ideas? I do get the steady green blinking light from what i can tell says all is good with board but there is no sound so not sure if there are any beeps to give me other messages. Like I said I am fairly new so any tips suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I believe the G1840 is also one of the new processors... Yup, ark.Intel.com confirms this.

A G1820 will definitely work.

treboR2Robert

Dabbler
This is my first post here.

I have been non stop reading over the past couple of weeks about what my freeNAS build should have, and finding this post has stumped me a bit.

I was planning on having ;

SuperMicro X10SLH-F
Intel i3 4370
16gb ECC unbuffered RAM (possible upgrade to 32gb if needed)
6x 3TB WD Reds in RaidZ2

Ericloewe what is it you mean about the CPU being "one of the new processors" ? Do you mean that the supermicro board doesn't support it, or that freenas doesn't support it ?

I ask because the CPU I am looking at is also one of the "newer" models.

Also do you think that my components are good enough ? I am mainly going to be using it as a plex server and I am not planing on using Compression or Deduping. Both seem pointless for a home media server.

Thanks in advance :)

gpsguy

Perhaps you could use their "walk-in technical support" to help you flash the BIOS.

I never have used their support, but visit one of their stores when I need something today.

With that in mind I talked to some folks at Microcenter and I asked them for their cheapest Processor that will boot with that motherboard so i can do a bios update.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
This is my first post here.

I have been non stop reading over the past couple of weeks about what my freeNAS build should have, and finding this post has stumped me a bit.

I was planning on having ;

SuperMicro X10SLH-F
Intel i3 4370
16gb ECC unbuffered RAM (possible upgrade to 32gb if needed)
6x 3TB WD Reds in RaidZ2

Ericloewe what is it you mean about the CPU being "one of the new processors" ? Do you mean that the supermicro board doesn't support it, or that freenas doesn't support it ?

I ask because the CPU I am looking at is also one of the "newer" models.

Also do you think that my components are good enough ? I am mainly going to be using it as a plex server and I am not planing on using Compression or Deduping. Both seem pointless for a home media server.

Thanks in advance :)

It means the motherboard needs the 2.0 BIOS to be able to use the processor. If it arrives with an older version, it must be flashed with a non-Haswell Refresh CPU (like the G1820).

Chris Swi

Cadet
Well I was able to update the bios through IPMI after getting a product key. Now my monitor will turn on and show it loading but it gets to a point and just says system initializing with the number 55 and then beeps 4 times and just sits there. At no point can I hit del to get into bios. I can see through IPMI that it is bios 2.0 from 4/24/1024.

Any ideas what this would be? I did not see anything on Supermicro site that describes what 4 beeps represent.

treboR2Robert

Dabbler
It means the motherboard needs the 2.0 BIOS to be able to use the processor. If it arrives with an older version, it must be flashed with a non-Haswell Refresh CPU (like the G1820).

Thanks for the reply. I see what you mean now :)

Chris Swi

Cadet
trebo, I would advise going with a processor that was released Q2 14 or even earlier. I have the 4370 and mine is still not working with latest bios. I am going to try and speak to Supermicro to see if they might have a beta bios that may be able to support it as I am sure they want to support all 4th gen processors but I doubt they will give it out until they have fully tested it.

Status
Not open for further replies.