SuperMicro X10SLL-F-O will not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmsmith

Dabbler
Hello,
This is my first FreeNAS build and I'm having trouble with booting. Currently I can't get it to boot inside the case nor using IPMI. I can however access the IPMI. I have tried updating the firmware but it still will not issue a power on command. I thought maybe it was because the processor was so new but I thought for sure it would try to boot while in the case. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is the build:
  • Motherboard - SuperMicro X10SLL-F-O
  • Processor - Intel E3-1231 v3
  • Powersupply - Corsair CS450
  • Memory - Kingston 8GBx2 DDR3-1600 ECC Unbuffered (KVR16E11/8
Thanks for the help!

Yatti420

Wizard
I'm confused with this.. Do you mean the server doesn't respond when the power button is pushed nor when the IPMI power-on is triggered?

tmsmith

Dabbler
I'm confused with this.. Do you mean the server doesn't respond when the power button is pushed nor when the IPMI power-on is triggered?

That is correct. I was able to get a SuperMicro tech on the phone. He THINKS it is because the processor is not being recognized. I was thinking the motherboard would attempt to POST at least.

Yatti420

Wizard
You said IPMI comes up though? I didn't think this would happen if hardware was unsupported.. Did you wire the power switch correctly etc.. Does it do absolutely nothing when you hit the power button? Maybe RMA time for the motherboard? When you said update firmware you mean IPMI firmware? Maybe talk to tech regarding a bios update..

Edit: Based on the specs page it looks like your CPU is supported.. Make sure JF1 is wired correctly? although I doubt this would be the case with IPMI failing.. Blue slots then black for ram etc.. http://www.supermicro.com/QuickRefs/motherboard/C220/MNL-1428-QRG.pdf

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, that doesn't sound like a CPU problem and sounds like something isn't connected. You may have a bad PSU or not have connected all of the PSU connectors.

camilo suarez

Explorer
i have the same board but with a intel g3220 and i think is that the processor is to new for the bios that the board comes with.

tmsmith

Dabbler
Thanks for the replies thus far. A member here is sending an older generation CPU to try so that I may update the BIOS.

I have made sure 'everything' is plugged in - 4 pin CPU power, 24 pin motherboard, and CPU fan.

tmsmith

Dabbler
Just to update:

A user here was nice enough to let me use their older CPU to update the BIOS. After doing that, removing the CMOS battery and installing the new processor... it booted right up. Currently running memtest now. Thanks all for the post. Hope this saves someone the trouble.

If anyone is curious, the old CPU used to update the BIOS was a Pentium G3420.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Most X10s (including the X10SLL-F, X10SLM+-F and related models, and the X10SL7-F) are microATX, so yes, they fit in the vast majority of cases.

scurrier

Patron
tmsmith - I have an X10SLM-F that is just spinning the fan when I turn it on. I am using an i3-4150 with it so I'm pretty sure I am having a similar problem to you. Funny story- I googled the mobo and CPU model numbers and the first result was a member here saying that he bought the same two components from the microcenter near me. No other posts indicating any issues with it after that. On a hunch, I PMed him and asked if he returned it. He did! And I bought it as an open box! He had the same issues with it that I did. Small world. Newegg reviews claim issues with this combo as well.

I have G3220 and an i3-4130 so I'm going to try swapping the i3-4130 into the mobo and see if I can update the BIOS. The 4130 is the same vintage as the G3220 so it should work and i will probably just leave it in there so i don't have to deal with heatsink changing again.

Thanks for your post.

scurrier

Patron
Yup- I updated the BIOS using my i3-4130 and now the i3-4150 is working. Thanks again!

chemaz101

Cadet
Gah wish i saw this topic before i bought the X10SLL-F and a 4150. Just got it today, put it all together and then.....nothing. So now ive just bought a G3420.....£45....grr...most expensive bios update ever lol... Should arrive tomorrow so fingers crossed ill be up and running then. The bios file ive downloaded is X10SLL4.424 ...is this correct?

tmsmith

Dabbler
Gah wish i saw this topic before i bought the X10SLL-F and a 4150. Just got it today, put it all together and then.....nothing. So now ive just bought a G3420.....£45....grr...most expensive bios update ever lol... Should arrive tomorrow so fingers crossed ill be up and running then. The bios file ive downloaded is X10SLL4.424 ...is this correct?

That sounds right. I think I used Rufus to make a bootable USB to update the BIOS.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

You can always sell it to someone who wants a cheap Haswell processor (for flashing or a basic system).

chemaz101

Cadet
surprise surprise it now works! haha. What really annoys me is that supermicro do provide a way of updating the bios through IPMI, but its a function you need to purchase "through your local representative" For this kind of situation this should be free or at least put a disclaimer on their website about this

Steven Bahia

Cadet
I'm so glad I found this thread! I have the exact same issue lol - I almost returned my board as I thought it was faulty. I've had to get a G3420 to up grade my bios hopefully that will work and I will have a usable system.

Rob L

Cadet
I'm thinking of picking up the X10SLL-F from Micro Center but am worried about this as well, which led me to find this thread. They don't stock the i3-4150 but I picked up a i3-4160 there. From the research I've been able to do, the 4150 and 4160 are nearly identical except for the 100MHz speed difference. Have any of you heard if the 4160 will work with the 2.0 bios?

Status
Not open for further replies.