SuperMicro X10SLL-F-O will not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm thinking of picking up the X10SLL-F from Micro Center but am worried about this as well, which led me to find this thread. They don't stock the i3-4150 but I picked up a i3-4160 there. From the research I've been able to do, the 4150 and 4160 are nearly identical except for the 100MHz speed difference. Have any of you heard if the 4160 will work with the 2.0 bios?

All Haswell Processors with ECC support will work with the 2.0 BIOS, no doubt about that.

However, Haswell Refresh processors need the 2.0 BIOS to work.

http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/42174/Haswell#@Desktop

If a processor is listed with a launch date of 2014, it'll need an update

Rob L

Cadet
Thanks, Ericloewe! I will give it a try and report back in hopes it helps others also wondering.

beanpole_ecc

Cadet
I too wish i would have come across this post about the bios having to be flashed. I've exchanged boards with the same problem before i found this out. Now i'm in the same boat trying to either find a supported cpu to update with or convince supermicro of giving me ipmi access to flash the bios that way. *fingers crossed*

Fraoch

Patron
For $50 you could get a Celeron G1820, flash the BIOS and then sell the Celeron for ~$25-$30 on eBay. Net cost $20-25.

DJABE

Contributor
All Haswell Processors with ECC support will work with the 2.0 BIOS, no doubt about that.

However, Haswell Refresh processors need the 2.0 BIOS to work.

http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/42174/Haswell#@Desktop

If a processor is listed with a launch date of 2014, it'll need an update

Well, I had an issue with G3420 just after upgrading to BIOS v 2.0. :) So no good deed goes unpunished.. :)

P.S. I thought I read somewhere that it is possible to upgrade BIOS if you're running server-grade MoBo with IPMI 2.0 support since IPMI has it's own 'mind' - chipset... if I remember correctly that was just this scenario, when you cannot boot primary OS/BIOS since the BIOS is unable to see your CPU...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, I had an issue with G3420 just after upgrading to BIOS v 2.0. :) So no good deed goes unpunished.. :)

P.S. I thought I read somewhere that it is possible to upgrade BIOS if you're running server-grade MoBo with IPMI 2.0 support since IPMI has it's own 'mind' - chipset... if I remember correctly that was just this scenario, when you cannot boot primary OS/BIOS since the BIOS is unable to see your CPU...

It is technically possible. However, Supermicro wants you to pay for an unlock code to use the IPMI to flash the BIOS.

DJABE

Contributor
Well, it seems SuperMicro put their walls down a little bit... you can 'order' code for free on their site :) Follow another topic on this.

beanpole_ecc

Cadet
Well, it seems SuperMicro put their walls down a little bit... you can 'order' code for free on their site :) Follow another topic on this.
What topic are you referring? I just ordered the ipmi product key (either going the cpu route and reselling or just buying the code for 20 bucks is the same). I looked and couldn't find the link you are referring to. Unless i'm not typing in the right search parameters.

thebaron

Cadet
Hi all. I am having exactly the same problem.
Bought a X10SLM-F and a Intel G1840 (Q2'14) CPU which results in not booting. I replaced the CPU with a G3220 (Q3'13) without success. Anyone who can give me some hints to get this system started?
I also tried to replace my RAM (Kingston 16GB ECC - KVR1333D3E9SK2/16GB) with a non-ECC RAM without success.

Fraoch

Patron
I'm having the same issue with a separate build I'm working on. I know all the parts are compatible because it does boot sometimes and works fine then. Since you've tried a known-compatible CPU and two sets of RAM I would assume the same.

Try it with everything disconnected and only one stick of RAM. Move this stick to another slot. Then try the other stick in every slot.

In my case, I'm starting to suspect a short-circuit to the case. The power light glows dimly when the power button is pressed. What happens in your situation?

Next I'm trying to power the board up on an insulated surface. To eliminate the possibility of something wrong with the power button I'll be shorting the power header pins together with a screwdriver to simulate a proper button press. If that doesn't work I'll have to return the motherboard.

thebaron

Cadet
I'm having the same issue with a separate build I'm working on. I know all the parts are compatible because it does boot sometimes and works fine then. Since you've tried a known-compatible CPU and two sets of RAM I would assume the same.
I hope so. Read a lot about this HW in the last hours and found people out there running this Mainboard/CPU setup.

Try it with everything disconnected and only one stick of RAM. Move this stick to another slot. Then try the other stick in every slot.
I have already tried configurations where I disconnected everything. I will try moving a single RAM from slot to slot tomorrow.

In my case, I'm starting to suspect a short-circuit to the case. The power light glows dimly when the power button is pressed. What happens in your situation?
The orange LED indicating standby or power on glows when i switch on the power supply. When i press the power button it keeps on glowing and it seems that at least some components are starting (HDDs spinning up, ...).

I opened a ticket at supermicros support but currently no one replied yet.
I am starting to think of a damaged mainboard too. Because when I'm connecting the IPMI Ethernet port to a DHCP server it does not look for an IP and therefore no connection is possible. Also I realized that LED1, which is an indicator for BMC, is glowing permanently - this state is not mentioned in the manual.

EDIT 17.11.2014:
After trying differnt configurations without success the Supermicro support and I agreed on a hardware defect. I will return the board to the distributor.

Last edited:

beanpole_ecc

Cadet
Well all. I forgot to post my outcome of this problem. I ordered an IPMI code from CDW (they sell unlock codes). However, I met with the problem of having my order forgotten. Apparently CDW purchases a code through Tech Data who then purchases the code from Supermicro themselves. Not sure where you can order on their site for "free" like was mentioned above. However, you can bypass all the stuff I went through by contacting or emailing Supermicro RMA department and they can sell you one. Be prepared to get played the "round robin" game because they will want you to send your board in and go through simple tech support stuff. It took a little convincing and back and forth but they finally released the product code via email to me. So you can either go through CDW (maybe there are more suppliers i don't know) or contact Supermicro's RMA department (they will tell you to either go through a 3rd party seller or email the sales department directly if i'm not mistaken).

I still think this is the way to go if you have any reservations about trying to resell an older processor like i did. 20 dollars with the key purchase or trying to find a processor, buying it, then trying to resell it seems like an even trade.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Thanks for the update @beanpole_ecc

I was wondering how the upgrade worked out. Sounds like this is "the way to go".

thebaron

Cadet
Just to let you know:

I sent the board back to the distributor and got a new one.
After installing it it worked like expected.

Regards baron

messerchmidt

Explorer
i thought that i had the same issue as i was not getting video out.

turn off the video jumper and popped in an old geforce 8 gts 640mb. used that to tinker with it until I got ipmi to work....damn java....

after i figured that out, was able to pull the geforce, re-enable the video jumper, and run the system via ipmi.

ChiknNutz

Patron
Crap, looks like I may too have this issue. I cannot get the box to fire up at all...nothing. I have also ensured the power supply is good via the "paperclip test" and the fans will then spin, but of course w/o the 24-pin connection, it of course cannot boot. I also tried shorting pins 1 and 2 (power switch) on JF1 with no result. After I connect it all back up, it acts like there is no power, yet LED1 and LED4 are active and blinking. This is a brand new build and I was honestly fearful because I went with the G3258 CPU. Is this the likely issue? Is there any way to get this thing working w/o getting an older CPU that the BIOS supports by default? Gawd, this whole process has been riddled by issues and setbacks every step of the way.

BTW, my motherboard is the Supermicro MBD-X10SLM-F-O model

I am wondering if my power supply, Antec TP3-650 (circa 2007) is simply incompatible with the motherboard. Does this seem plausible? I was just using this power supply on my old system with no issues whatsoever. But now, the power and reset switches seem to do nothing.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I have also ensured the power supply is good via the "paperclip test" and the fans will then spin, but of course w/o the 24-pin connection, it of course cannot boot
Doesn't mean much. The fans are not particularly picky about the power you need to supply for them to spin.

I am wondering if my power supply, Antec TP3-650 (circa 2007) is simply incompatible with the motherboard.
No, but it could very well be out of spec, especially being so old.

ChiknNutz

Patron
Can you please elaborate on potentially being "out of spec"?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Can you please elaborate on potentially being "out of spec"?
It might be degraded to the point of not reliably delivering the voltage it should, when loaded.

ChiknNutz

Patron
I confirmed that it is in fact the power supply. I connected up one from another computer and it fired right up. I have another one on order. Ended up ordering a Thermaltake TR2 Gold 500W (80 PLUS GOLD Certified), Model: PS-TR2-0500NPCBUS-G. Weird cuz it worked with the other motherboard. Also noticed that the LED1 (green) and LED4 (orange) slowly blink with the bad PS, but are on steady with a "good" PS. Not sure what that means exactly as I couldn't find a distinct answer about that specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.