BUILD Supermicro X10SL7-F Build Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

trigate

Cadet
Hello FreeNAS Community,

I'm planning on building a FreeNAS NAS. I've read alot about it and I hope that my configuration is doesn't look like I haven't.

Since I got a bunch of stuff lying around I hoped that I could use them (if it is a bad Idea just tell me)

My planned Setup:

Intel i3-4150 (have it already)
16GB RAM (Samsung M391B1G73QH0-YK0)
Supermicro X10SL7-F
120GB SSD as Boot Device (I got one lying around and don't know what else to do with it)
450W Gold+ PSU
APC Back UPS ES 700VA 230V (USV)

Ok, I guess this is the core that really matters.

Is it ok to use the SSD as Boot device or should I buy some USB Drives?
I will start with just 4*4 TB since I want to test FreeNAS running on a real System before going into using it as a real Server. Maybe I will put a fifth drive in it, since according to what I've read, I can do it in a Z2, because of the compression.

To be honest I could live with just 12 TB of usable Space since I just have 6TB of data at the moment. Should I just get a smaller board, the fifth/sixth drive and try it? The big board is just in it, because when I need more space I can just add another vdev with complete redundancy.

It is only 4 drives, because I don't trust drives. I don't want to run 10 of them in one vdev. Even 6 sound risky to me.

Greetings

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is it ok to use the SSD as Boot device or should I buy some USB Drives?
An SSD is fine. 120 GB is way bigger than necessary, but it's what I'm using, and for the same reason as you.

ChriZ

Patron
Honestly, anything below 6 drives for a Raidz2 vdev, seems like waste of space for me.
The possibility to have three faulty drives at the same time and lose your data is practically non existent.
This is true, of course, if before using them on live data, perform proper burn in tests.
As for the ssd, with the motherboard you have, it is fine.
It has enough connectors for 14 drives, so even after adding a second 6drive vdev you still have a spare sata port.
And an SSD is always better than the best usb stick.
The rest of the parts seem fine to me, as long as your CPU is enough for your workloads and the PSU is a decent brand.

trigate

Cadet
Ho1nestly, anything below 6 drives for a Raidz2 vdev, seems like waste of space for me.
The possibility to have three faulty drives at the same time and lose your data is practically non existent.
I will consider it, since I would obviously get more usable space for just a bit more money.

The rest of the parts seem fine to me, as long as your CPU is enough for your workloads and the PSU is a decent brand.

It's a Be Quiet! SP. It pretty much competes with the Seasonic G-Series.
Yeah I just have the CPU lying around. My first intend was to build something around a Celereon or Avaton, but then I was like: "hmm, maybe I want to scale up, maybe I shouldn't close this path".
That's why I'm planning on using the i3 so that I could upgrade it if needed. Same with the MB.

I'm quite unsure about the RAM at the moment. In Cyberjocks Guide and on the hardware recommendations it is recommended to use 1GB for 1TB as a rule of thumb, when I build 2 pools (yes atm I would rather have 2 pools instead of 2 vdevs in one pool). 2*6*4 TB is 48TB which results in 32 usable space. So I would be pretty much maxed out at the RAM part. Should I be concerned about that? On the other hand there are people like "Dice" who ran 56TB of drives with 16GB of RAM.

After reading several threads on this forum with skylake not working properly I'm also discouraged to use it.

Dice

Wizard
...which results in 32 usable space. So I would be pretty much maxed out at the RAM part. Should I be concerned about that?
It is not a concern at the moment. But - thinking and planning ahead is imperative to not wasting resources into FreeNAS.
If you got these components on hand it is probably a no-brainer. You'll build out of those?
In my opinion, it is a solid future planning to build off a motherboard that support enough RAM to not alleviate RAM to be the next limiting factor when deciding to upgrade the system with additional drives...

After reading several threads on this forum with skylake not working properly I'm also discouraged to use it.
Beware of the date of Skylake related threads. If problems dated to the 9.3 era, obviously prior to 9.10 being released - you should not pay too much attention to described problems. 9.10 fixed a lot.

Last edited:

trigate

Cadet
Okay, so I was thinking about my needs and about what I plan to do on the NAS.

It will be a media server. I will probably play around with jails, but the important part is that it is working as network share.

So I will stick to my Haswell Solution, since I will go for the 6*4TB in Z2 and I quiet unsure if I even need to upgrade it in the next 5 Years, because I can't think what I would do with that amount of storage, since my needs aren't that high.

Is there anything wrong my build?

Intel i3-4150
32GB RAM (Samsung M391B1G73QH0-YK0)
Supermicro X10SL7-F
120GB SSD as Boot Device
450W Gold+ PSU

That I should really consider changing now? Since I will need 7 Sata Ports, I will stick to the SM.

Status
Not open for further replies.