SuperMicro X10SL7-F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I hope you don't really mean "2x16go": that motherboard will take memory modules only up to 8GB. Put two 8GB modules in slots of the same color,
This.

You're in for a world of pain if you try 16GB DIMMs of any kind.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I don't think anyone makes a 16gb ddr3 unbuffered ECC stick of ram. All of the modules larger than 8gb or 16gb are registered AFAIK...

There are some, but they only work with Avoton Atoms (and AMD CPUs, I suppose) - all other Intel CPUs have a bug/design limitation and only support 8GB Unbuffered DIMMs. Last I checked, availability was miserable, pricing was insane and the company who made them seemed to just pop out of nowhere with a full range of DDR3 ECC with some "proprietary technology" to allow for 16GB Unbuffered DIMMs, despite current chips only allowing for 8GB per DIMM in unbuffered configurations.

Besides, it wouldn't be the first time if he tried using Registered DIMMs.

TXAG26

Patron
There are some, but they only work with Avoton Atoms (and AMD CPUs, I suppose) - all other Intel CPUs have a bug/design limitation and only support 8GB Unbuffered DIMMs. Last I checked, availability was miserable, pricing was insane and the company who made them seemed to just pop out of nowhere with a full range of DDR3 ECC with some "proprietary technology" to allow for 16GB Unbuffered DIMMs, despite current chips only allowing for 8GB per DIMM in unbuffered configurations.

Besides, it wouldn't be the first time if he tried using Registered DIMMs.

Good to know. I saw that DDR4 has hit the shelf so I doubt we'll ever see reasonably priced 16gb ddr3 unbuffered dimms. Newegg still only has 8gb sticks. Just for pure curiosity purposes I'd buy two sticks of 16gb ddr3 unbuffered ECC to see if I could get it to work on my board. I did the same thing with my Supermicro D525 based atom board. Intel & SM claimed 4GB was the max (2x 2gb sodimms). On a whim I put a 8gb sodimm kit in there and it worked just fine! 2x 4gb sodimms. I suspect Intel made the 32gb limit on the e3-12xx v3 processors a very hard limit though.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Good to know. I saw that DDR4 has hit the shelf so I doubt we'll ever see reasonably priced 16gb ddr3 unbuffered dimms. Newegg still only has 8gb sticks. Just for pure curiosity purposes I'd buy two sticks of 16gb ddr3 unbuffered ECC to see if I could get it to work on my board. I did the same thing with my Supermicro D525 based atom board. Intel & SM claimed 4GB was the max (2x 2gb sodimms). On a whim I put a 8gb sodimm kit in there and it worked just fine! 2x 4gb sodimms. I suspect Intel made the 32gb limit on the e3-12xx v3 processors a very hard limit though.

It's hard. So hard they didn't correct it for the Haswell refresh line. I wouldn't be surprised if Broadwell didn't support them either (being the last generation DDR3 controller and all).

andromeda

Dabbler
Thanks very much for your information, i have already installed and configuring ESXi on other board (Z87-V-Pro 32go, i7 2600k) it work well
but i prefer the board X10sl7-f and xeon V3-1230 v3 for vt-d, vt-x, impi etc ... its very good.

How do i do for put memory 2x16go on board X10SL7-F ?

one memory on channel A slot1 and other on channelA slot2 or one memory channel A slot1 and other memory on channel B slot1 ?

Thanks.

it was 2 x 8go and not 2 x 16go.

andromeda

Dabbler
is what freenas can seeC22 raid controller 2 white sata-3 and 4 black sata-2 for make a raid ?

I speak of raid intel C22 and not lsi2308 for freenas and not for esxi.

Thanks in advance.

TXAG26

Patron
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but if you're asking if FreeNAS installed on bare-metal (no ESXi) on a board using the C222 PCH chipset, then yes, all 6 SATA ports (2 white SATA3, and 4 black SATA2) should be visible to FreeNAS. I have not actually run this to test, but the Intel C222 PCH chipset is fully supported in FreeBSD and I've never read anything about FreeNAS not being able to use the C222 chipset PCH controller for SATA drives.

Supermicro makes a C222 based board that does not have the LSI 2308 controller, if you were wanting to go that route. I think it's about $75 cheaper, however, the LSI 2308 is worth about $200 alone if purchased separately as a PCIe card, making the X10SL7-F a steal, price-wise!

andromeda

Dabbler
in fact I'd use in a vm freenas with pch c22 controller and lsi2308, my question was, can freenas in a vm can see and make raid for controlleur C222 pch.
i known that esxi is not possible use c222 pch in passthrough but may be freenas in a vm can use controller c22 pch for exploiting black sata-2 and white sata-3.
like this, i can use 8 disk on lsi2308, 2 disk on white sata-3 and 4 disk on black sata-2.

Last edited:

andromeda

Dabbler
using lun iscsi nas on my DS1512+ to store vm (esxi ) is less efficient than local disk on x10sl7-f?
because I have two hard disk that I do not use my nas and i can put them in raid 0 for example
and i can recover other disk from x10sl7-f for using data or other.

thanks in advance.

TXAG26

Patron
in fact I'd use in a vm freenas with pch c22 controller and lsi2308, my question was, can freenas in a vm can see and make raid for controlleur C222 pch.
i known that esxi is not possible use c222 pch in passthrough but may be freenas in a vm can use controller c22 pch for exploiting black sata-2 and white sata-3.
like this, i can use 8 disk on lsi2308, 2 disk on white sata-3 and 4 disk on black sata-2.

No, you can't use the C222 PCH in VM FreeNAS running on ESXI. You can only see/use the passed through LSI 2308. If you need more than 8 disks in FreeNAS with the LSI 2308, get the Intel Port Expander (see model number in my signature).

TXAG26

Patron
using lun iscsi nas on my DS1512+ to store vm (esxi ) is less efficient than local disk on x10sl7-f?
because I have two hard disk that I do not use my nas and i can put them in raid 0 for example
and i can recover other disk from x10sl7-f for using data or other.

thanks in advance.

I'd just use a local disk connected to the C222 PCH (white & black connectors) for vm storage. iSCSI will be slower and makes it overly complex.

LoopyJuice

Cadet
Well in reply to all the temperature stuff on the last page, once I got my system in the case the airflow over the SAS heatsink was still pretty minimal so I bit the bullet and slapped one of these on it:

http://www.zalman.com/global/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=133

Probably wouldn't recommend it unless you are ok with voiding your warrenty quite hard as it involves getting the SAS heatsink off (which is thermal epoxied on), cleaning up the chip and then mounting that heatsink (which mounts really nicely with the provided holes around the SAS chip, don't know why they didn't use pushpins when they have made the mounts...)

Results are much improved, the zalman gets warm but nothing like the extend of the old one (no surprise given its about 8x the mass) and the size of it means its much better situated to dissipate the heat.

Very pleased but yeah probably not wise to start butchering your £180 mobo if you like warranties and things and not having to scrape epoxy off the SAS controller die.

On another note I emailed supermicro US and NL support this morning to ask what the interface under the heatsink was and the NL guys got back to me within 7 minutes with an answer and the US guys within a few hours with the info, very impressed by the tech support email.

TXAG26

Patron
Well in reply to all the temperature stuff on the last page, once I got my system in the case the airflow over the SAS heatsink was still pretty minimal so I bit the bullet and slapped one of these on it:

http://www.zalman.com/global/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=133

Probably wouldn't recommend it unless you are ok with voiding your warrenty quite hard as it involves getting the SAS heatsink off (which is thermal epoxied on), cleaning up the chip and then mounting that heatsink (which mounts really nicely with the provided holes around the SAS chip, don't know why they didn't use pushpins when they have made the mounts...)

Results are much improved, the zalman gets warm but nothing like the extend of the old one (no surprise given its about 8x the mass) and the size of it means its much better situated to dissipate the heat.

Very pleased but yeah probably not wise to start butchering your £180 mobo if you like warranties and things and not having to scrape epoxy off the SAS controller die.

On another note I emailed supermicro US and NL support this morning to ask what the interface under the heatsink was and the NL guys got back to me within 7 minutes with an answer and the US guys within a few hours with the info, very impressed by the tech support email.

Interesting! I remember looking for a heatsink that would fit it when I first got mine and resorted to just using a fan. I don't think mine is epoxied on as I am pretty sure I could twist it a little bit (thermo tape maybe?). I'll double check next time the case is open.

andromeda

Dabbler
compatibility server linux on supermico site is 12.04 ubuntu server.
this list is updated ? because is exist ubuntu server 14.04.1 LTS, this work on this board ?

andromeda

Dabbler
this list is updated ? because is exist ubuntu server 14.04.1 LTS, this work on this board ?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

You might get better information asking Supermicro or in an Ubuntu forum.

andromeda

Dabbler
thanks for informations.

i'd like known if is possible to connect one lan port to a VM (windows) and other lan port to other VM (linux, freenas,...).
for example: a VM windows connected on one of the two port lan and other VM linux in other lan port ?
this two lan port can be connected to a switch that support vlan. le first lan port to 192.168.2.4 for example and the second port to 192.168.4.5.

Thansk for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.