BUILD Build Check and a question about a Supermicro X10SL7-F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent Larsson

Dabbler
I am building a FreeNAS server for home use. The main purpose would be to have it as a safe storage for video and photos.
I was thinking starting with a Z2 set with 6 4 Tb disk and have the option to add another set of 6 disk when I need more space, possibly 6Tb disks when they get more affordable.
My initial thought was to use Supermicro MBD-X9SCM-F and the IBM 1015M card however get my hands on the Controller card seem to be a problem in the country I live and my hardware guy don't have the Supermicro 9 serie in stock any more.
So to get around that problem I was thinking of getting the Supermicro X10SL7-F instead with the LSI 2308 flashed to IT-mode, it would take away the need for the for the IMB 1015 card.

What I am not sure of is how well the X10SL7-F is supported by FreeNAS, so I was wondering if anyone tried it out before I go ahead and order the parts.

The final setup would be:
Casing: Lian Li PC-A76 (Looks OK and have space for 12 disk, can be modified to hold 14 disks if I want/need )
Disks: 6 Seagate NAS Server HDD 4 Tb (I like the 3 year warranty )
PSU: Cooler Master V550S 80+ Gold Mod
Motherboard: Supermicro X10SL7-F (LSI 2308 flashed to IT)
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220Lv2 (A Xeon is overkill but I might decide to add functionality later)
Memory: 2X Samsung 8GB DDR3-1600 1.35V 2Rx8 ECC (From the compatibility list at Supermicro)
USB: Sandisk Cruzer Ultra Slim (Is it a good idea to have a pair with the same set up to have a back up in case one gives up?)
PSU: Dell Tower 500/1000W LV/HV Serial port (I live in Singapore, there are a lot of thunderstorms here with power trips. I want the UPS to be able to shut down the server gracefully if this happens. Not sure if I need the 500 or 1000 W to get this done. I am also not sure how price worthy they are since Dell need a week or more to find out how much they charge for it)

Any thoughts/input/critic would be appreciated but please be gentle I am a Noob.

PenalunWil

Contributor
Hi Kent,

I have just completed my first ever build using the X10SL7-F. My build is as shown below. I had no problems with IPMI set up or the LSI 2308 flash to IT. All my disks are visible in FreeNAS 9.2.1.3.

Although being a total newbie to FreeNAS I am struggling to set-up my datasets, users and all the other associated items (in matter of fact its doing my head in).

But other than that I've found the X10sl7-F to be a superb motherboard.

Wil

indy

Patron
I would not go for the low-power Xeon cpu as it should use roughly the same amount of power as a regular cpu while idling.

The X10SL7-F is a great mainboard, just know that the sas-controller draws and additional 10W+ and imo needs active cooling.
For a 6 disk setup i would give an onboard controller a try.

Kent Larsson

Dabbler
Thanks for the advice I go for a E3-1230 v3 instead.
The 6 disk set up would be the initial state I will need more disks in a later stage so I would like to get the SAS controller tested and working before i start adding data to the system.
Any ideas how to get active cooling to the
LSI 2308?

PenalunWil

Contributor
Thanks for the advice I go for a E3-1230 v3 instead.
The 6 disk set up would be the initial state I will need more disks in a later stage so I would like to get the SAS controller tested and working before i start adding data to the system.
Any ideas how to get active cooling to the LSI 2308?

Hi Kent,

The LSI cooling issue was one of the reasons why I decided to buy the Zalman MS800 case as it has a support rail/arm running inside which is primarily used for fixing a bracket onto it for supporting large PCI graphic cards.
I used this rail to suspend a small 80mm fan which is angled towards the heatsink on the LSI and directing the air flow in the same direction as all the other fans.
I'm thinking about changing that 80mm fan to something a little larger with a better airflow like the 120mm Akasa Apache which has a 58CFM air flow. I have at present three 120mm fans at the top of the case pulling air through the case from the bottom to the top. I'm thinking about changing two of these fans to a 140mm Akasa Apache which can shift 90CFM. That should keep things cool.

Another alternative solution to keeping that LSI cool is an Antec Spot Cooler...
http://www.dabs.com/products/antec-... Storage - Cases, Cooling and Power - Cooling

The other thing I did was fix my CPU cooler (a Gelid Tranquillo rev 2) also in the direction of the air flow (facing upwards). The sides of the heatsink are closed off forcing the air through the heatsink. Also the height of the heatsink is only 153mm so it should fit in most cases. I was also told it can handle up to 150TDP which is great as the intel E3 1230 v3 has a maxTDP of 80W. The Gelid Tranquillo rev 2 was really easy to fix and excellent value at only £24.00 (about $40 US).

Considering all including the Icy Box back planes my system is very quiet. All I can hear is a very low sound level of air flow.

Wil

Kent Larsson

Dabbler
Thanks mate, that's a lot of useful information. I don't think the Lian Li case have the rails but the spot cooler seems like a great idea. Didn't even know it existed.
I was thinking going for the boxed cooler but I might change my mind on this after reading your post, not sure how much it will affect the sound levels. The A76 is a quite big case so i don't think space would be a problem.
I really appreciate the input.

RyanJennings

Dabbler
Well this is quite the coincidence. I just posted my experience with the X10SL7, then came across your post. Here is a link to what I had posted.

http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/supermicro-x10sl7-experience.20582/

I didn't do anything extra for the heat sink. Not sure if I should or not.

The IPMI is pretty cool. I hadn't used it before. Not really useful once FreeNas is installed so not sure I would pay extra for it, but it was fun to try out.

Kent Larsson

Dabbler
Thanks mate!
I i read your post, was it tricky to get the LSI flashed to IT-mode I understand it can be done via IPMI?
My thought is to get it up and running as a pure storage to start with, I have HTPC's to stream any video already, but knowing me and my itchy fingers I probably want to try out some more options when that is done, that's why i decided to go with the Xeon processor.
Main problem at the moment seem to be to get my hands on the hardware here in Singapore.

RyanJennings

Dabbler
Thanks mate!
I i read your post, was it tricky to get the LSI flashed to IT-mode I understand it can be done via IPMI?
My thought is to get it up and running as a pure storage to start with, I have HTPC's to stream any video already, but knowing me and my itchy fingers I probably want to try out some more options when that is done, that's why i decided to go with the Xeon processor.
Main problem at the moment seem to be to get my hands on the hardware here in Singapore.

It wasn't hard. I can't recall the details, but I just followed directions I found online and was able to flash via IPMI.

Status
Not open for further replies.