SOLVED Supermicro IPMI: Invalid Username or Password

nickt

Contributor
Hi all,

Just setting up a new (second hand) X10SLM+-F board. Still running memtests - all going well so far. In the IPMI, I'm getting an "Invalid Username or Password" error logged every ten seconds. I've updated to latest IPMI firmware and BIOS, and have reset all IPMI / BIOS config before starting. Have quit Chrome and logged back in. Can't figure out where it's coming from...

Has anyone seen this? Any idea what it might be?

Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 8.58.52 pm.png

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That's weird. Try contacting Supermicro or reflashing the firmware, both system and BMC.

nickt

Contributor
Thanks Eric. Weirder is that it kept going even when none of my laptops were turned on but then suddenly stopped at 2 am last night. Not a single entry since.

Oh well. Will try as you suggest if it comes back.

I got that because I had ipmiview set up wrong (password) on my phone. It tried to logon all the time, it seams that ipmiview just keeps trying.

I assume that freenas not trying to logon.

nickt

Contributor
OK - silly me. It was the IPMI configuration in the FreeNAS GUI - good catch @Mikael Petersson. Once I provided my ADMIN password, the error messages stopped. I'm a little bit surprised that default behaviour for FreeNAS is to bang away at the IPMI every 10 seconds with a wrong (or in my case empty) password.

Oddly enough, I didn't have to do this for my previous board (ASRock C2750D4I). Oh well - live and learn.

nickt

Contributor
Oh dear - much dummer than that. Actually, I had a temperature monitoring script that polled IPMI every 10 seconds (using ipmitool) that I had completely forgotten about. On my old board, I had set up a special user for the IPMI script. So I needed to recreate that user on the new board. Job done, problem gone.

My first conclusion blaming the password config in FreeNAS was way off the mark - it just happened to be mixed with a static IP address change, which meant that the temp monitoring script was hitting the wrong IP address and not causing any password errors. Once I put the IP address back, the errors started again - until I remembered the old script!!!