Supermicro M11SDV-4CT-LN4F IPMI password reset

rhinok

Dabbler
Hi,

I know this is not a TrueNAS question, but maybe you guys can point me in the right direction.

I am in the process of upgrading my small (4 drives) FreeNAS box to TrueNAS and new hardware. For that, I bought a brand new Supermicro Mini-ITX board. I connected the board to power and network and then tried to log in into IPMI. At first, I used ADMIN/ADMIN as password, which it didn't work. I googled it, then first post found was with the same user/password I tried earlier. Stupidly, I tried different combinations of the above until a message said that I am locked out. I did a power cycle of the board and did more research on the web which led me to the new BMC Unique Password feature page on Supermicro's site. Finally, I used the random password printed on a sticker on management NIC and successfully logged in. Next, I copied the MAC, set up DHCP server and power cycle the board a second time. Now I am unable to log in. It looks like the password is no longer recognized, even after several power cycles and a clear CMOS, nothing seems to work and all I get is "Invalid Username or Password". I have no OS installed and no drives are attached to the board.

How can I reset this password?

rhinok

Dabbler
Update: the password wasn't recognized by the BMC GUI only. When I run from my PC e.g.:

Code:
ipmitool -I lanplus -H 10.11.12.13 -U ADMIN -P <BMC Unique Password> lan print 1

it returns the expected result without error. This made me to revisit the scripts provided by Supermicro here. I fixed it using:

Code:
python reset_bmc_password_to_admin.py ./input_file.txt <BMC IP> <BMC IP>

Content of the input file: <Motherboard Model>,<Motherboard SN>,<BMC MAC in format AABBCCDDEEFF>,<BMC Unique Password>.