SuperMicro IPMI password reset

bar17

Dabbler
Hello Everyone,

I just put together my brand new server intended for FreeNAS.

It has a SuperMicro X11-SSH-LN4F motherboard /w IPMI.

I promptly logged into the IPMI server via my web browser and decided to change the password of the IPMI server. I use a password manager and followed the character limits mentioned in the IPMI manual. 20 characters, symbols, numbers, letters. It took my password, "WBT+A*3V1^*=a.5Fq7G" when I "modified" the ADMIN account.

Now I can't login username ADMIN with password "ADMIN" or "WBT+A*3V1^*=a.5Fq7GE"

Maybe some of these characters are not allowed but it still took it?

Uggghhhh.

The only tools I see online for resetting the password are to boot using a SuperMicro recovery tool. But I don't have a videocard on this machine....

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

bar17

Dabbler
I just got lucky!!!

Tried the password minus a single character.

WBT+A*3V1^*=a.5Fq7GE --> WBT+A*3V1^*=a.5Fq7G

Dropping the "E" worked. I guess it only took 19 characters despite the manual saying 8-20.

Don't worry, I have since changed my password again...

Still curious if anyone knows of another way other than dropping a video card in the machine, attaching a monitor, and booting to a SuperMicro tool.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You can boot your server and reset the BMC to factory defaults from the shell.

ipmitool raw 0x3c 0x40

bar17

Dabbler
Thank you Jailer, fortunately I did not have to go down this path, but it is good to know for the future potentially.

William Bravin

Contributor
hello all

my server is running fine... no issues. However i would have liked to start using IPMI connection to my supermicro and admin and admin as user name and password does not work.

so i read on the forums that i can reset the user name and password through the FreeNAS shell. great

The post suggested that i input ipmicfg -fd in the shell ...simple enough
but when I insert this command in the shell I get

zhs command not found

now i read this post who is suggesting to input ipmitool raw 0x3c 0x40 so i did

and the shell root@freenas2 [~] x

I tried to re-enter the IPMI gui but it still did not allow me access to this service

How do i fix the zsh error?
and
how do i change the username and password of the ipmi through the FreeNAS shell

Thank you all for responding

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The default for Supermicro is "ADMIN/ADMIN" - capital letters.

William Bravin

Contributor
Thank you for replying

i tried this and did not work

zis8snbt4p

Dabbler
Wow thanks for this. This just saved my bacon. Anyone else detest the random limitation on passwords? I had created a super hard long password aaaaaaaand it's only 19 chars. Whatever.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
For anyone still searching on this topic (I presume now long resolved) the answers to these questions:

How do i fix the zsh error?
at the default shell prompt (which is now zsh) type sh<ENTER>

Now you're at an sh prompt and the paths should work to find ipmitool as originally posted.

how do i change the username and password of the ipmi through the FreeNAS shell
I don't think you can. (other than through the Shell tab).

EDIT: All junk. See post from @danb35

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Now you're at an sh prompt and the paths should work to find ipmitool as originally posted.
Why would you want to change shells for this? ipmitool is in $PATH (specifically, it's in /usr/local/bin), and it will run just fine under zsh. William's problem was that he was trying to run a completely different command (ipmicfg rather than ipmitool), one that is not present in Free/TrueNAS (and indeed may not exist).
I don't think you can. (other than through the Shell tab).
...which is exactly what he was asking. The answer is apparently ipmitool user set password 2.

sretalla