Lost Supermicro IPMI password - any way to reset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichTJ99

Patron
Hi,

So i bought a used X9SCM-F on Ebay. Board works great but the IPMI wont allow me to login (ADMIN/ADMIN). I rebooted & in the bios security I changed the password to admin. I am unable to get in (Never was able to get in).

I found these instructions: https://support.ixsystems.com/index...gresetting-ipmi-password-via-truenas--freenas

But it doesnt work. Any ideas how I can reset the IPMI to default (or something else)?

Thanks,
Rich

ethereal

Guru

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
From the system shell in FreeNAS or putty. ipmicfg -fd or ipmitool raw 0x3c 0x40

RichTJ99

Patron
From the system shell in FreeNAS or putty. ipmicfg -fd or ipmitool raw 0x3c 0x40

I just tried this:

Code:
[root@freenas] ~# ipmicfg -fd
ipmicfg: Command not found.
[root@freenas] ~# ipmitool raw 0x3c 0x40
Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0: No such file or directory

Any other suggestions on doing it via Putty? I would prefer (if possible) to keep the system running. Since this was an ebay purchase its likely that the last user changed the admin password.

Inxsible

Guru

scrappy

Patron

scrappy

Patron

Inxsible

Guru
Not too sure you can reset the password this way without first being logged into your server's IMPI admin account. Otherwise it would be a huge security flaw since anybody on the network could theoretically change or reset the password
I missed the OR between the 2 options.

But you can definitely change the password if you have physical access to the machine as I have mentioned in that link.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Any other suggestions on doing it via Putty? I would prefer (if possible) to keep the system running.
Not sure. I've used the command a few times in the past when my IPMI has locked up and it's reset it just fine and cleared it to factory defaults. I don't remember now which one I used but one of them did work.

scrappy

Patron
Not sure. I've used the command a few times in the past when my IPMI has locked up and it's reset it just fine and cleared it to factory defaults. I don't remember now which one I used but one of them did work.

I see ipmitool is included in FreeNAS 11. So would #ipmitool mc reset cold do the trick?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
It will restart the BMC but not reset it to factory defaults.

ethereal

Guru
Status
Not open for further replies.