Suggested Intel CPU for new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ender

Cadet
Hello Everyone,

I'm currently planning out my first FreeNAS build. I've built several general purpose and gaming computers in the past and am enjoying learning more about what hardware makes a great NAS. I'm attempting to build something as silent as possible and am hoping to get some advice on which processor might best suit my needs. I appreciate limiting my choices in processors to low TDP isn't ideal but unfortunately I live in a one bedroom condo and this build will sit in my living room. I am an audiophile at heart so any fan noise needs to be avoided at all costs.

This build will serve dual function as NAS and media server. I intend on using Plex for video needs which represents the heaviest of potential workloads on the build. Additionally it will be used to host lossless audio file, photos, and general work documents. If all goes well I will also set up the unit for Time Machine backups for our Macbook Pro and Mac Mini. We only have two people in our household so overall traffic on the system will be low and at most we would see two video files being transcoded at the same time.

Considering the limitation on noise generation I want to passively cool the CPU which limits us to a TDP of 45w or below. These are the CPUs I identified:

Xeon E3-1235Lv5 (multi core passmark 6000+)
Xeon E3-1240Lv5 (multi core passmark 8000+)
Xeon E3-1260Lv5 (multi core passmark 8000+)

Plex indicates that you basically need a passmark score of 2000 for each 1080p file transcode happening at once (which represents the heaviest type of workload I anticipate for the build). Considering all three processors have enough headroom to potentially serve more than 2 transcodes at once it seems all three CPUs would be adequate. In a dream world it would support 4k transcoding but I don't think that's possible with the limitations I have on TDP.

I'm leaning towards the E3-1235Lv5 considering it is more affordable and has the lowest TDP. It's also unique in the sense it's the only one of the three that has P530 embedded graphics. My understanding is that the embedded graphics supports Intel Quick Sync Video which is Plex supported and optimized for transcoding, potentially outperforming the other two processors in this type of task.

Am I on the right track here? Any alternative suggestions that I haven't considered?

kdragon75

Wizard
I'm leaning towards the E3-1235Lv5 considering it is more affordable and has the lowest TDP. It's also unique in the sense it's the only one of the three that has P530 embedded graphics. My understanding is that the embedded graphics supports Intel Quick Sync Video which is Plex supported and optimized for transcoding, potentially outperforming the other two processors in this type of task.
GPU transcoding (built in to the CPU or not) is not supported by Plex on BSD. Get the Xeon E3-1260Lv5. Keep in mind the TDP is the MAX TDP and will only run that hot under full load.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Considering the limitation on noise generation I want to passively cool the CPU which limits us to a TDP of 45w or below.
Are you also going to go with SSDs for storage? Accessing hard disks is far more audible than a decent CPU cooler, not to mention the need to cool the disks as well. And the PSU, too, while we're at it.

religiouslyconfused

Contributor
I have a machine with a stock intel cooler, and I can hardly hear it. Not to mention that it is running a full fat Xeon E3.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I have a machine with a stock intel cooler, and I can hardly hear it. Not to mention that it is running a full fat Xeon E3.
They do get loud when pushed, but that's pretty rare.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Also depends on the case and the cooling requirements. My current Lian Li rig has 6 fans in it (5 noctuas plus one inside the PS) and by far the loudest thing coming out of it is the sound of the read write heads doing their synchronized dance.

I’m not a fan of transcoding at the NAS. I deliver the content to a Mac mini and it does the rest. They make for a nice media head unit esp. now that they are not as kneecapped re video as they were in the past. I imagine there are other windows/Linux-based options out there rather than rely on the NAS to do anything but serve up the original content.

But also understand how accessing content on a tablet might be fun.

pro lamer

Guru
loud when pushed, but that's pretty rare.
Isnt 4K transcoding pushing?

GPU transcoding (built in to the CPU or not) is not supported by Plex on BSD
Isn't emby capable of doing it on BSD? I've seen something about emby in our forums recently.

Anyway I've also seen in our forums that some paid plex subscription may "soon" or already support something similar on... BSD?

Anyway you may want to check (if haven't done it already) what exactly are this chip's hardware encoding and decoding abilities. Ive seen the "CPU monkey" page has some comparisons...

Sent from my mobile phone

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.