Stuck on "Welcome to GRUB!"

usaleem-ix

Cadet
For those who are observing system being stuck on "Welcome to GRUB!", can you please confirm if you are booting on EFI based system?

If yes, please go into the firmware settings and look for BBS (BIOS Boot Selection) menu? Or any other boot priority selection menu for that matter that is available in firmware/BIOS settings on your system. In this menu, you should see an entry named 'TrueNAS-0' or 'debian', please select that to boot. If you do not see the issue anymore, please select this boot entry as default boot entry for the system to boot.

If you do not see any entry name 'TrueNAS-0' or 'debian', that is an issue.

If the issue still occurs, after selecting 'TrueNAS-0' and/or 'debian', please try disabling fast boot from you BIOS settings as well.

Also, if you see the GRUB boot menu after 'Welcome to GRUB!' message, make sure you press enter key after selecting the desired entry to boot.

im.thatoneguy

Dabbler
Motherboard: Super X12SPI-TF
HBA: Broadcom 3808 (IT mode)
Boot: 2x Motherboard SATA SSDs
Bios: EFI
CPU: Intel
RAM: 256GB ECC

Core booted no problem instantly. USB Linux thumbs boot instantly.

For those who are observing system being stuck on "Welcome to GRUB!", can you please confirm if you are booting on EFI based system?

Yes.

In this menu, you should see an entry named 'TrueNAS-0' or 'debian', please select that to boot.
Boot Option #1 [debian(SATA, Port:1)]
Boot Option #2 [TrueNAS-0(SATA,Port:0)]
Boot Option #3 [debian(SATA,Port:0)]

You can see exactly how long it took, by running uptime.

It says "2 seconds" after sitting on the WELCOME TO GRUB! screen for long enough to go do some household chores and still have it waiting.

Enter Key also doesn't do anything while stuck.

Also tried a clean shutdown. Sat for an hour. Started it up and still hung on WELCOME.

im.thatoneguy

Dabbler
Tried changing BBS priorities to:

Code:
Boot Option #1 [TrueNAS-0(SATA,Port:0)]
Boot Option #2 [debian(SATA, Port:0)]
Boot Option #3 [debian(SATA,Port:1)]

No change. (well... it didn't boot immediately so I restarted again after like 2 minutes)
please try disabling fast boot from you BIOS settings as well.

I don't think the Supermicro x12 MBs even give you a fast-boot option haha. I looked just to be safe and couldn't see anything.

SOLUTION: I switched from EFI to Legacy and now instead of going to WELCOME TO GRUB for like 10 seconds and starts booting immediately.

littleNewton

Dabbler
Hi everyone, I got this problem again!

My TrueNAS SCALE was a virtual machine under ESXi 8.0 hypervisor. Today I want to convert it in a physical machine. So I install a new TrueNAS SCALE 22.12.0 OS into a Intel Optane 900P 280GB. The installation works very nice. However, when I first boot from the new OS, "Welcom to GRUB!" was printed on my screen with no more infomation indicating. I'm very sad.

After reading this forum's post, I decided to wait more time. Yes, It works. Almost 10 mins later, I got into the normal TUI and the webpage can be accessed again. However, I fount the SAS3008 (Dell OEM with AVAGO product) card cannot work properly. All the HDDs under this card cannot be accessed but I can see the card with lspci command.

So, I turned back to the virtual machine method. Is here anyone has the same SAS card problem?

adrianjpb

Cadet
The 30 seconds default timeout is ignored: (This is what happen to me!)
Code:
# grep 'set timeout' /etc/grub.d/00_header
  set timeout=${GRUB_RECORDFAIL_TIMEOUT:-30} (Where is this code?) 
When you boot, do you see the countdown? In my screenshot it shows at 5 seconds, down from 30 seconds, then the booting process continues. If you change the default selection, the countdown is cancelled:

View attachment 60910

You can always press Enter during GRUB screen to accept the selected entry, until a fix is provided. I'm honestly glad this issue is fixed for me, all I did was performing a shutdown. I'm forced to do shutdowns, because the NetApp DS4246 attached to my R720xd server.

bollar

Patron
Tried changing BBS priorities to:

Code:
Boot Option #1 [TrueNAS-0(SATA,Port:0)]
Boot Option #2 [debian(SATA, Port:0)]
Boot Option #3 [debian(SATA,Port:1)]

No change. (well... it didn't boot immediately so I restarted again after like 2 minutes)

I don't think the Supermicro x12 MBs even give you a fast-boot option haha. I looked just to be safe and couldn't see anything.

SOLUTION: I switched from EFI to Legacy and now instead of going to WELCOME TO GRUB for like 10 seconds and starts booting immediately.

l also had the black "Welcome to Grub"with no options screen (not the blue screen with selections that didn't continue to boot)

Switching to Legacy and manually selecting the boot drive also worked for me. In UEFI, the bios suggested it intended to start booting from a data disk. If that's the case, it had six data drives to work through before finding the boot drives in the 7th & 8th SATA port.

In Legacy, I could directly select my boot drive and that worked.

NugentS

MVP
Ok, I get this:
Code:
root@TrueNAS[~]# sas2flash -listall
LSI Corporation SAS2 Flash Utility
Version 20.00.00.00 (2014.09.18)
Copyright (c) 2008-2014 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved

No LSI SAS adapters found! Limited Command Set Available!
    ERROR: Command Not allowed without an adapter!
    ERROR: Couldn't Create Command -listall
    Exiting Program.

and:
Code:
root@TrueNAS[~]# sas2flash -list -c 0
LSI Corporation SAS2 Flash Utility
Version 20.00.00.00 (2014.09.18)
Copyright (c) 2008-2014 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved

No LSI SAS adapters found! Limited Command Set Available!
    ERROR: Command Not allowed without an adapter!
    ERROR: Couldn't Create Command -list
    Exiting Program.

I'm guess it's because I have a different brand than you?
Try sas3flash rather than sas2flash

GunSu

Cadet
I hade same issue and looks like it appears when install TrueNAS scale on device with HW RAID controller and by some reason by default UEFI boot chose wrong debian boot partition so I added new boot partition (debian/grub) in BIOS and selected it as boot option and got imidiately booted in TrueNAS Scale (I have veriosn 22.12.2) and also Supermicro HW SSG-640SP-DE2CR90.

jgreco

Resident Grinch

GunSu

Cadet
You must not use a hardware RAID controller. Please see

I didn't use HW RAID controller. I isntalled TrueNAS directly on two M2 drives with available option to create mirror TrueNAS RAID but Supermicro has available built in HW RAID controller which causing UEFI to boot from wrong boot partition. As I mentioned manual adding correct boot partition solved issue with Welcome to GRUB message stucked on screen for while.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I didn't use HW RAID controller. I isntalled TrueNAS directly on two M2 drives with available option to create mirror TrueNAS RAID but Supermicro has available built in HW RAID controller which causing UEFI to boot from wrong boot partition. As I mentioned manual adding correct boot partition solved issue with Welcome to GRUB message stucked on screen for while.

As long as you're not using the hardware RAID controller for anything, then that's fine.

bollar

Patron

volatileb

Cadet
I'm experiencing this issue (stuck at black grub "welcome" screen for approx 40 mins). As far as I can tell, my old-ass motherboard has bios that doesn't even support UEFI. I tried disabling the serial port in the Trunas Scale UI as well, but no dice there either. I'm using LSI SAS2008-IT cards, and only one has drives attached at the moment, although both are installed on the motherboard.

kur1j

Cadet
I'm having this same exact issue as well. https://ixsystems.atlassian.net/browse/NAS-121676 seems to be closed with "no changes".

Setting up TrueNAS Scale 22.12.3.3.

I installed TrueNAS Scale and was setting up the system. Rebooted and got the same exact issue.
1693319014588.png

After ~7min and 30s it then boots into the blue GNU Grub boot menu and boots normally.

1693318422204.png

This is a

Supermicro SSG-620P-ACR16L
Product Name X12DPi-NT6
Supermicro HBA AOC-S3816L-L16iT

System seems to boot consistently after ~7min.

ericeric

Cadet
I installed an LSI SAS2308-8e and a USB serial cable both connected to an SC200 and it started to hang for a few minutes on the "Welcome to GRUB!" screen.

I believe my issue was resolved by disabling the PCIE boot driver on the HBA: BIOS > Integrated Devices > Slot Disablement > Disable Boot Driver (# slot)

tomfiddle

Cadet
In my case, the cause was a faulty SATA device connected directly to one of the ports on the motherboard. I restarted a few times, was impatient, and never waited more than 10 minutes. Then I unplugged this single SSD, kept the other 5 SATA devices plugged in, and it booted as expected.

TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.3.2
ASRock B550M STEEL LEGEND
AMD Ryzen 7 5700G

ravenblight

Dabbler
I also experienced this behavior, and culprit was that in some of updates from RC version my truenas scale was doing multiple boot environments (over 1000) and I was unable to delete them in any way. The resolution was to clean install, and after restoring settings, system started to behave properly.