Stuck at Welcome to Grub!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Winkler

Cadet
Here is an update.

When I woke this morning I was greeted to a message:
  • The boot volume state is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected.
I decided to manually run the "Scrub Boot" and see what I would get.

Under 11-U3 when I "Scrub Boot" I receive the above message and the system reboots on its own.
Under 11-U2 the "Scrub Boot" appears to run fine.

I grabbed a new USB and installed a fresh copy of 11-U3 and restored my backed up config to the fresh new USB install.
With the new USB drive I am able to "Scrub Boot" and it completes without errors.

Strange....

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Yeah it is odd that U3 and U2 have different Scrub Results. Best to keep offline backups of your Config anyways (always highly recommended). Still makes me a little wary of U3, but I prefer to stay 1 or 2 revisions behind the latest anyways. :)

Ryan Winkler

Cadet
Just tried to upgrade using the web interface to U4 from U3, same "Welcome to Grub" message and then the computer reboots.
I was hoping it was just a bad USB but I guess it wasn't.
Time to download the ISO and rebuild the USB again.

Ryan Winkler

Cadet
Rebuilt the USB using a downloaded 11.0 U4 ISO.
Restored my backup and the system appears to be working fine again.

I guess I will stop waisting time trying to use the web interface to upgrade versions.
It will save time if I start by downloading the ISO and just use the ISO to complete the upgrades from now on.

norbs

Explorer
Rebuilt the USB using a downloaded 11.0 U4 ISO.
Restored my backup and the system appears to be working fine again.

I guess I will stop waisting time trying to use the web interface to upgrade versions.
It will save time if I start by downloading the ISO and just use the ISO to complete the upgrades from now on.
Please share some info about your system. Just trying to see if there are any correlations between system builds and this issue.
So far it seems a lot of people running freenas as a VM are affected. For me what finally fixed this was to use only one boot device.

Status
Not open for further replies.