Stuck on "welcome to GRUB!"

PePeComputing

Dabbler
Runs just fine here. Possibly your bridged networking is messed up?

Well I tried your suggestion with rifd, that also did not make a difference :( So I'm switching over to ProxMox with a CORE installation in a VM. Thanks for troubleshooting with me!

PePeComputing

Dabbler
Are you booting in UEFI mode?
So the solution was..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXbM1eYvLjA

Never heard of BBS before, but this fixed the problem
Runs just fine here. Possibly your bridged networking is messed up?

Because byhve...!? I could never get my VMs restart on their own in byhve. KVM on SCALE on the other hands works pretty good.

joeschmuck

Old Man
BIOS Boot Specification, where the BIOS checks which devices are bootable.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
But clearly GRUB is loading far enough to take over... That's a weird one. Are we sure this wasn't something weird with video modes, where the screen stops refreshing but the OS is actually loaded normally?
That's clearly the boot priority list for UEFI boot, since it actually names the software that will run (BIOS can't do that because it just loads a disk sector into RAM and jumps into it). So... is the OS booting in UEFI or BIOS mode? Do you have a /sys/firmware/efi directory? If you do, I would suspect that the firmware tried to boot something else, which changed the video mode but didn't actually do much of anything, so the next boot option was chosen.
yeah..... Well that was a first hard time working with MSI haha, never seen that option before.
It's typical of AMI firmware, down to the exact name. Not universal though, AMI keeps changing it around, even within versions for the same motherboard.

joeschmuck

Old Man
But clearly GRUB is loading far enough to take over... That's a weird one.
Agreed. I've never seen this option before either but then again I haven't had an MSI motherboard in decades. I can recall when they were not the best manufacturer and often the least expensive motherboard on the market, but it sounds like they have made a market for themselves.

bonfire62

Dabbler
You made me laugh. While it may be called stable, it's still an early version so odds are it's still full of bugs. We hope it isn't but reality is that more bugs will crop up as more people start to use Scale.

The data drives for your Vdev/Pool should have no effect on the GRUB bootloader hanging up. It is likely a hardware compatibility issue.

Is there any other data on your monitor or is it only the screen shot you posted? It may sound like a stupid question but if I don't ask it and there is other data, well I'm stupid for not asking.

I think (hope) that CSM (Legacy Boot) fixes the problem. I have not had much good luck with UEFI.

So if the BIOS changes does not help, here are some things you could do to isolate a hardware conflict. Remove the HBA card and try to bootstrap the system. Maybe the HBA is causing it. Any other add-on cards, remove those and give it a try again. The system should bootstrap from the NVMe card, or the USB Flash Drive even without any add-on cards. Of course if you have a video card, you kind of need that one. The last thing I would try is to remove the M.2 NVMe card and then try to bootstrap off of the USB Flash Drive.

Good Luck!
Just to follow up on this, I've been having the same problem as well, stuck on the welcome to grub screen for quite a while, and then it may or may not boot. Switched over to legacy bios and a booted immediately. I think the issue is that with the LSI cards, it has to load the ROM and anywhere at the discs, which I see in legacy mode but I don't see any UEFI

joeschmuck

Old Man
UEFI can cause problems. I will always prefer Legacy mode.