Stripe only option dell h730 RAID

djnoah

Cadet
Hi,
I am running TrueNAS-12.0-U6 on a Dell R730 with an H730 raid controller.
I set the RAID controller to RAID 5 and built a virtual disk with the controller configuration
When I build a TrueNAS pool I have a single disk to choose from and the only option when defining the Data VDevs is "Stripe". But the TrueNAS UI makes it clear that Stripe can be a dangerous option. What can I do about this?
Cheers

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Please don't try to run a HW RAID with TrueNAS.

You'll need to replace your H730 with a plain HBA in IT mode, so TrueNAS can control your drives directly. Then you can create a RAIDZ1 pool. However, I would recommend a RAIDZ2 (equivalent of RAID6), because too many folks have lost data when their RAIDZ1 pools suffered 2 bad disks.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Samuel is right; you should replace the controller. The reason it's appearing the way that it is, is because you've created an array using the RAID controller, which is presented to the computer (and thus to TrueNAS) as though it were a single disk. And in that case, yes, a stripe is the only possible pool configuration.

djnoah

Cadet
Thank you Samuel and Dan. There is a way to configure the H730 and put it in non-RAID mode. Would this work?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Thank you Samuel and Dan. There is a way to configure the H730 and put it in non-RAID mode. Would this work?
It may work for a while, but you will eventually lose data or experience weirdness like drives disappearing. Running your controller in JBOD mode isn't a long-term fix.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Would this work?

Did you read the quoted article? It's literally written in response to that very question asked by someone else at one point, who, recollection says, had an H730.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Seriously, just sell it and install an HBA330 mini (or more vanilla PCIe slot LSI SAS 9300 if you want to be 100% sure) and be done with this. Don't bother with any of the RAID stuff.

neb50

Dabbler
The H730 in HBA mode will work, but will limit the drive speeds to 150MBps. The HBA330 mini is a direct replacement and will work to control the drives at up to SAS3 speeds.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The H730 in HBA mode will work, but will limit the drive speeds to 150MBps

We've previously determined this not to be true. It's the reason I wrote the HBA resource, and why I specifically called out needing to avoid RAID controllers that have been made into pseudo-HBA's but still use the same firmware/driver set as the RAID card.

duder1982

Dabbler
I know this is an older topic, but I have the same issue, but I don't believe I have a RAID controller or at least that I am not aware of.

Somewhat of a light bulb just went off. If I understand correctly, since I only have one drive, then stripe data is my only option, which would make since as there are no other drives to utilize RAID configuration for redundancy or back up.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer