SOLVED SSD - One or more devices has experienced an error

Phe0nix

Explorer
I had a 6 year old Sandisk flashdrive and it began to have issues loading FreeNas, so i made a new backup of my config file
and installed two identical SSD drives and reinstalled with the latest FreeNas and choose the option to install
using UEFI however it wouldn't boot to the drive after the install so i formated them and repeated the installation
and choose BIOS then uploaded my config file and all is great other than i'm getting the same error.
Since the drives are new and i had to repeat the install i'm thinking it was related to my install issues ?

Does that sound more likely than one of my new SSD drives are on their way out ?

Attachments

• New install alerts.jpg
    New install alerts.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 211
  • FreeNas boot Pool.jpg
    FreeNas boot Pool.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 201
  • Verify Install.jpg
    Verify Install.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 213

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
We have seen, over the years, that certain brands and models of SSD do not work reliably with ZFS / FreeNAS.
Were the new SSDs the same brand / model as the six year old one? What model drive are we talking about here?

also have you recently upgraded from 11.0?

Phe0nix

Explorer
Sorry guys, I didn’t think I was going to get a response.
Both SSD drives are New , I recently removed my 6 yr old USB boot device. I just decided to start over with 11.2-U7 and run mirror SSD’s instead of a single USB.
If anyone knows of any SSD’s that work reliably with ZFS please let me know.

Attachments

• C9E0F3D2-EB87-465C-B40F-F6AE858D1A33.jpeg
    C9E0F3D2-EB87-465C-B40F-F6AE858D1A33.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 203
Okay your problem is related to this bug report https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-100276 you can run those SSD's by disabling trim which is what I have done or you can return them and buy some that do not have Silicon Motion controllers in them.

Last edited:

Phe0nix

Explorer
Okay your problem is related to this bug report https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-100276 you can run those SSD's by disabling trim which is what I have done or you can return them and buy some that do not have Silicon Motion controllers in them.
Thank you Cobrakiller58 , I think I’d rather keep them and disable trim. I appreciate your time and effort you put into my issue.