Sophos

Status
Not open for further replies.

diedrichg

Wizard
Sophos XG is now at 17.0.0-RC1

diedrichg

Wizard
*GASP* There isn't support for WOL (Wake On LAN)?!! Crap! Any suggestions?

Last edited:

diedrichg

Wizard
So, the report says that something happened, but how do I know if the firewall actually blocked it?
56d47e7529c801a3ac8116090f5dd4b0.jpg

diedrichg

Wizard
Sophos was good but there were some shortcomings. I needed a free Dynamic DNS service to connect to, I needed WoL, those were no-go items. I also had an issue where my wife could not send email through the MSU (Michigan State University) servers. She couldn't use either the MSU web email portal, nor Exchange on her iOS devices. So I switched to pfSense.

I immediately felt more comfortable with pfSense with its integrated OpenVPN service, WOL, much better dynamic/static DHCP depiction, and numerous dynamic DNS services baked right in. Alas, I still had the MSU email issue. (actually, it was worse) In pfSense, she couldn't even _receive_ emails or refresh the inbox. So I made a firewall rule to allow all traffic from mail.msu.edu. This then allowed incoming mail and inbox refresh, but she still couldn't SEND emails. After two days of Googling and trying several firewall rules, I gave up. I'm now back to my ASUS router running the show. Until I can figure out how to allow the wife's email to work without prejudice, I'm out of the big kid pool and sitting in the kiddie pool. Unnecessary wife aggro is a fool's fate.

ChriZ

Patron
Well, sophos does have Dyndns, not every free dyndns out there, I suppose, but it has plenty. I am talking about UTM 9.x, though, not sure about XG
WOL, nope.
Now regarding your email problem, it most likely was a web filtering issue. You could try adding an exception for your wife's phone and check if that solves the problem.

diedrichg

Wizard
Well, sophos does have Dyndns, not every free dyndns out there, I suppose, but it has plenty. I am talking about UTM 9.x, though, not sure about XG
WOL, nope.
Now regarding your email problem, it most likely was a web filtering issue. You could try adding an exception for your wife's phone and check if that solves the problem.

The WOL I can work around - my ASUS AP has that function.

I didn't consider adding an exception for a particular device, I'll look into that further. Thanks for the suggestion.

XG only has, like, 4 Dyndns services and only one was free but it was confusing as heck. Never got it fully set up.

droeders

Contributor
Alas, I still had the MSU email issue. (actually, it was worse) In pfSense, she couldn't even _receive_ emails or refresh the inbox. So I made a firewall rule to allow all traffic from mail.msu.edu. This then allowed incoming mail and inbox refresh, but she still couldn't SEND emails.

Did you check the pfSense system logs for the firewall? I've used these logs in the past to debug issues similar to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.