SOLVED: Moved to new Hardware Issues - 0.0.0.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clinderw

Explorer
I had a nice set up that i wanted to upgrade to some more powerful hardware. I backed up the config and moved everything over. Reading the forums, i was thinking it would automagically work. It booted but i had 2 jails that were throwing errors and my UPS which i didnt plug in was throwing an error. No big deal, BUT the ethernet ports on the motherboard aren't connecting for some reason. It is telling me to try 0.0.0.0 - no bueno.

I couldnt figure out how to fix this and the error messages kept me from being able to do much troubleshooting. I did a fresh install on a new USB and the network issue still exists. Of note in both instances - the lights near the cable connection are lighting up and showing life.

Any suggestions? I'm trying to use the ethernet ports on the mobo, its an enterprise server, i wouldnt have suspected it to cause these types of issues.

Thanks

Last edited:

Apollo

Wizard
Reset FREENAS to factory default and setup LAN interface.

Clinderw

Explorer
Just reset to factory defaults (curiously if this is a fresh install, what is this doing?) and i created a VLAN but it didnt get me anywhere.

still getting 0.0.0.0

Is there anything else i can provide for troubleshooting?

Thanks,

Clinderw

Explorer
Pretty sure the onboard network ports are intel based on what i've read on other threads. My network interfaces are - igb0 and igb1

Of note and probably related, i get 3 errors for hosts not being found at freebsd.pool.ntp.org.

Also attached are the ifconfigs

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    380.7 KB · Views: 1,016
  • IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0021.JPG
    398.2 KB · Views: 1,141
Last edited:

Apollo

Wizard
You said you did a fresh install, yet you also said you copied your config.
I still suspect your network is not able to locate the DNS server or something similar.
On your screen, press "Enter" and you should see the Freenas option menu.
Select to reset IP and configure LAN again.

Clinderw

Explorer
ahh sorry, i meant i just made a copy for when i got his working (havent actually used it yet) - my bad.

Pardon my ignorance, what do you mean by reset IP? not seeing that as an option.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0022.JPG
    291.7 KB · Views: 1,042

Apollo

Wizard
ahh sorry, i meant i just made a copy for when i got his working (havent actually used it yet) - my bad.

Pardon my ignorance, what do you mean by reset IP? not seeing that as an option.

Thanks
You can try option 8 first, reboot and see how it works.
If this doesn't work, try option 1 and set IP address to match your network IP. Select to use DHCP, or don't. I never know which DHCP server this is referring to.
Reboot and see how it goes.
If no success, change option 1 again and change DHCP settigns.

Apollo is correct, option 8 to reset to defaults and see how it goes. May also want to only have one ethernet cable plugged in at this point. No need to complicate things with two connections and exotic settings. If it still does not get an IP address go into option 1 and make sure DHCP is selected, if it still doesn't work try setting a static IP in your networks range and try it.

Clinderw

Explorer
Trying combinations of what you guys suggested - not getting any success. By setting option 1 with an Ip address, i'm seeing that IP come through in the option list (at the bottom) as expected but it doesn't actually load the GUI.

I'm doing another reset now and going to take one more pass tonight.

Any other suggestions or combinations?

Thanks,

Since it is a new setup you could do a complete reinstall but once everything is reset that should not be needed unless something is corrupted. Check your network cables and make sure that your box is able to get an IP address from your router. It's simple but sometimes the best of us can forget to make sure a cable is plugged in properly. If there is a switch between your router make sure it is functioning correctly as well.

Apollo

Wizard
GUI will not appear on that screen.
Once you have the IP address, use it in your browser to access the web interface.

Clinderw

Explorer
Yep. so i tried swapping out cables. How do you check that the box is able to get an IP address from the router? I can confirm there is a light on the ethernet port

Apollo - yep, tried from my other computer. thanks for confirming.

Thanks for the help so far

Go to your other computer and check in the router if the mac address for the system is showing up at all. Set a static IP address on the FreeNAS and then try option nine and do a ping to the router to see if it can communicate. Also if the board has IPMI available that port is not the same as a network port. Generally the IPMI port will be right next to the keyboard and mouse connection.

What are the HW spec's you changed too and from? These are important things for us trying to help you as to why your IP isnt changing.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
i created a VLAN but it didnt get me anywhere.
Can you explain what you meant by you created a VLAN? Unless you set up your switch and the rest of your infrastructure properly, this could have an isolating effect. I just want to make sure you understand VLAN's.

Clinderw

Explorer
I moved from an IBM x series server to a newer x series server - i wasn't using a DIY hardware set up. I can send Mobo specs this afternoon

I have no expertise with vlan, i was merely trial and erroring it last night. I was going to do more research on it this afternoon.

I'm also going to check if the mac address is coming through this afternoon.

Thanks!

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
In that case, I would suggest to leave vlan alone.

Are you sure both ports are connected. igb0 looks like it's unplugged.

Are these the same cables and ports that your old server was using?

Clinderw

Explorer
I'll leave it alone - thanks for the feedback.

One of the ports is connected and i was using the network connections on the mobo in the old system. However, to eliminate a factor, I have actually been booting into a fresh install (it has none of the old configs on it).

Thanks

Last edited:

Clinderw

Explorer
Here is a screen shot of the BIOS too...IP6 is disabled but nothing else looked off to me. Any suggested changes?

Thanks

Attachments

• Bios.png
    Bios.png
    377.9 KB · Views: 1,096
What manufacturer makes the onboard NIC(s)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.