shutdown and unplugged FreeNAS now no access to web gui

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Russell

Cadet
Hi I tried searching the forums and found one post similar but did not work for me
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/web-gui-not-accessible.18937/

I shutdown my system and moved my router around. When i plugged my ethernet cable back in and turned on my system I got the same ip address as always but the web gui was not coming up. I also had no access to my plex server. Nothing was working but it looked fine on the console.
I changed the network interface to a different ip and reset it but none of that worked. I reset to factory defaults and it showed up again. Then when I went to restore the old config it happened again, no gui and I couldnt connect. I tried the commands in the thread above but got nothing:
"1. rm /var/log
2. mkdir /var/log
3. service nginx start
Got an error about nginx already running (which make sense from the above grep results), so replaced start with restart."

Any other tips would be very helpful
Thanks
Dan

wblock

Documentation Engineer
It is not a good idea to blow away /var/log/ based on three-year-old threads. Please don't do that. If the disk is out of space, that's one thing. But was it?

Dan Russell

Cadet
I don't know. I just saw the thread and tried it. I wasn't aware it was dangerous but Its also not the end of the world if I lose my storage its mostly just a plex server and how i store files between computers in my house but its all backed up elsewhere.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
You won't lose your storage, but it might mess up the permissions for logging, which could cause lost logs, prevent services from starting, or even make the system less secure. In this case, it's even a little more unfortunate, as those logs might have told what was really going on.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Wow--that thread really needs a warning in it. Yes, if (1) the logs are on the boot device (which they wouldn't be in a normal installation), and (2) the logs have gotten large enough that the boot device is full, then abnormal operation can happen. Even then, nuking the log directory isn't the answer, and "logs taking too much space" isn't the first, the second, or even the tenth thing to check for "I can't access the web GUI".

@Dan Russell, let's start with some basics. On the text console screen, there should be a URL with an IP address for your FreeNAS box (as in the red box below, though typically there would only be one):
fetch.php

Can you ping that IP address from elsewhere on your network?

Status
Not open for further replies.