Broadcast Storm, Network issues

lmannyr

Contributor
FreeNAS 11.3 with 2 Gigabit ports
pfSense is DHCP

pfSense has static IP mapping for both nics and IPMI.

If both NICs are connected, (both ethernet cables are plugged in at the same time) I get some sort of broadcast network storm (the switches all blink in a super fast synchrony steady pattern). This shuts the network down until I disconnect one of the ethernet cables. Ive tried different cables and a different switch and still same issue. If one cable is connected, I have no issues. It doesn't matter which ONE NIC is connected. Connect them both....BOOM the activity lights go nuts. What is causing this. PLEX is off, VM is off.

I can access web GUI no problem with one NIC connected. But always get The Web interface could not bind to 192.168.5.50. Using 0.0.0.0 instead. I don't see where I have that IP address set ANYWHERE in the GUI. How can I get that IP address OUT of the config file?

Sounds like you've got a circular network connection. You haven't mentioned LACP in the OP. Have you set this up? You need it for link aggregation. You will need an LACP capable switch. I don't use it so I'm not able to be of further assistance. Search this forum. FreeNAS documentation reference 9.2.2. Link Aggregations

lmannyr

Contributor
I have a NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit (GS308-100PAS) which does not have LACP. I do not have LACP setup. Never have I had it setup as I did not know what it was. Ive had this FN setup for more than 7 years and never had issues like this. I don't know if its from upgrades in the past or what. But I put it on a back burner for some time and now finally tackling the issue.

I research LACP.....