SOLVED Random / Frequent crashes since hardware upgrade

TxT

Cadet
Hi guys,
just for some context: I built my freenas system about a year ago and just ran it like that for about 9 months. Because of poor virtualization performance I then decided to virtualize freenas using windows server 2016 running hyper-v. Everything worked fine and I was happy. A couple weeks ago I then performed a hardware upgrade (for more info see below). I think that might have been the cause for random crashes that I have ever since.

My Hardware (running as a VM on Hyper-V as a Gen1 VM):
Intel Xeon e3_1231v3 (6 cores assigned to the VM)
32GB DDR3 RAM (16GB assigned to VM)
Asrock h97 anniversary
4x4TB WD RED (Directly connected to SCSI Controller 1)
250 GB Samsung 850 evo (Boot drive for hyper-v server)
480GB Sandisk SSD (Boot drive for all the VMs (1x Hyper-v and 2x Windows server))

Upgrade:
4x1TB Cruicial MX500 SSD (Connected to 2nd SCSI Controller)
InLine 76617G 8 Port (The HHDs are physically moved over to this one)
Intel X540-T2 10Gbit NIC

I use the system mainly to store video and project files that I need for my YouTube channel. I also edit and render video directly off of it.

Ever since I performed this hardware upgrade I feel like the system is not as rock solid anymore. Before that freenas didnt crash once. My record was even something like 150 days of uptime! But now every few days freenas crashes and reboots. I even opened a bug report (#69807), but that was resolved by rebooting the entire hyper-v server. After that everything was fine for a couple days, but sometimes the system just crashes on not that heavy load. And most of the time it is still stable under heavy load. I just cant find any pattern.

I attached some (hopefully helpful) crash reports I could find, please let me know if you need more information on this.

Sadly I couldnt find more, but from the info there seems to be an issue da7 and 8? I also had the problem with da8 a few days ago, that it was gone in freenas and my array was marked as degraded. I could see the drive again in the disks menu, but I couldnt wipe it, nor readd it to the array because it always threw some client side exception.

I also didnt find anything useful in the event viewer of the hyper-v server, nor did I have issues with the other few windows VMs.
Edit: In event viewer it just looks like freenas did a normal reboot, no erros.

Thanks a lot for every bit of help!

Attachments

• crash.zip
    298.1 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

TxT

Cadet
Thanks for the reply! I forgot to close it, I fixed it myself by exporting all the data from the array (FreeNAS crashed like 30 times for pulling 1TB if) and then wiping all drives and readding them.