SOLVED: IP alias for web UI

JohnTwenty

Cadet
Hi everyone. I've got a question about configuring an alias IP. I'm trying to assign one IP to my web ui and use an alias as node IP. However if I install the traefik app, it always runs on the same IP as my web ui (192.168.178.42) (I set my web ui's IP in "System Settings" => "General" => "GUI" => "Settings" => "Web Interface IPv4 Address" to 192.168.178.42 and used the alias (192.168.178.41) in "Apps" => "Settings" => "Advanced Settings" => "Node IP") What am I doing wrong?

J.T.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
More info...
Which version of SCALE
How many Ethernet ports?

You are probably running into the issue of multiple IPs on the same subnet.

JohnTwenty

Cadet
I only have one NIC. The article you refer to assumes (if I understood correctly) that the problem is due to multiple NICs with IPs on the same subnet.
I started over from scratch and now traefik runs on 192.168.178.41 and my UI on 42, which is how it should be. Apparently I didn't save the changes I made when I selected the Node IP.

BTW: The version I'm using is in my signature ;-) (that's what it said in the "read before you post" article.)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The article you refer to assumes (if I understood correctly) that the problem is due to multiple NICs with IPs on the same subnet.

That's correct, but there are also a bunch of related problems that can develop as offshoots of that topic. Most of us UNIX old-timers implicitly understand the rules for networking, but it is quite common for new users to come in with all sorts of crazy misconceptions. I haven't figured out a generalized way to discuss the topic as it could really be a semester long discussion about all sorts of layer 2, layer 3 issues, TSO/LRO stuff, the joys of bridging, multiple broadcast domains on a single physical segment, etc.