SOLVED - All my datasets are gone after reboot. I'm in a panic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightheat

Dabbler
FreeNAS was running fine, but I had to shut down the server because a Thanksgiving guest was complaining about the noise (seriously regret this right now). I shut it down via the command in the GUI. I started it back up moments ago and none of my Windows shares remounted in Windows. So I logged into the server without issue and saw that all of my datasets are gone (jesse, kristen, media, shared). It created a home folder called "jesse" under my parent dataset "belle" when I tried to re-mount it in Windows. But the rest are gone. This is 6 TB of data. I have most of the important stuff backed up, but I have hours of work from the past day that isn't backed up yet. Please help, I know very little about FreeNAS and I feel like it shouldn't just erase datasets on a proper reboot.

It's installed on bare metal. Here are the specs:

• E5-2640v2
  • Supermicro X9SRH-7F (has onboard hba)
  • 2x16gb ddr3 rdimms
  • Seasonic 80+ gold 550w psu
  • 2 SanDisk u100 16gb ssds raid1 for freenas
  • 8 hgst deskstar nas 6tb raidz2
  • Athena power 5 in 3 hdd cage/backplane
upload_2018-11-22_15-6-34.png

upload_2018-11-22_15-6-52.png

I looked at /var/log/messages but it seems to only have messages since after the restart. I can't find logs before the reboot. I have no idea what's happening.

Thanks.

EDIT: The disks are encrypted. I have the geli.key and geli_recovery.key files available.

`zpool import -m` does nothing.

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-22_15-8-2.png
    upload_2018-11-22_15-8-2.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:

lightheat

Dabbler
zfs list:

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# zfs list													 
NAME								USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT			 
freenas-boot						861M  13.6G	64K  none					
freenas-boot/ROOT				   853M  13.6G	29K  none					
freenas-boot/ROOT/Initial-Install	 1K  13.6G   838M  legacy				 
freenas-boot/ROOT/default		   853M  13.6G   847M  legacy				 
freenas-boot/grub				  6.84M  13.6G  6.84M  legacy				 
[root@freenas ~]#

stw500

Dabbler
Normaly encrypted disks have to be unlocked before showing the datasets. Did you try to unlock them with your passphrase?

lightheat

Dabbler
That definitely makes sense, but how would I do that? Is there a prompt on the video output of the server itself during startuos? I tried importing encrypted volumes via the wizard, but no disks showed up in the gui.

lightheat

Dabbler
Disregard, I'm stupid.

upload_2018-11-22_17-26-11.png

Everywhere with the arrows said "locked", so I had to click the "Unlock" button (the 2nd of two, originally) at the bottom of these view in order to unlock it. Then everything showed up and I breathed a huge sigh of relief.

I totally get the need to decrypt manually after a reboot, but I would love for freenas to prompt me or something. I'll remember that I encrypted for future reboots. Thanks everyone!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Thanks for sharing though, especially the illustrations, it may help someone else that is having trouble importing an encrypted volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.