SMB Shares

NugentS

MVP
I am evaulating FreeNAS for a home NAS. I plan on using iSCSI, NFS and Windows Shares. However I cannot get the Windows Shares to work as follows:
Currently the NAS is running under VMWare with 3*200GB virtual disks as a single pool
Version of FreeNAS is 11.3-U2
Basic Config is to set up timezone, NTP etc and then join the domain

Active Directory
I have attached the NAS to the domain. Note that everytime the NAS is rebooted the domain join part is Faulted. I have to manually leave the domain and then rejoin for this to work. I believe this is a bug in U2

Basic Intentions
My basic intention is to have two pools of disks on a full build
Pool1 - a set of SSD's available to VMWare via iSCSI. Tested - seems to work beautifully
Pool2 - a set of bulk drives with SMB access & NFS access. Note that some areas will need to have both NFS & SMB access

Pool Creation
I create an initial pool called BulkPool with all three virtual disks. The defaults apply Raid-Z which I change to stripe for testing purposes (I have limited space available) and there is no data of any importance going here.

DataSet Creation
I create a dataSet in BulkPool called SMB, Keep default, but change Share Type to SMB
I create a dataset in BulkPool/SMB called TestFiles. Keep default, but change Share Type to SMB
I create a dataset in BulkPool called NFS. Keep default, Share Type Generic
I create a dataset in BulkPool/NFS called TInstall. Keep default. Share Type Generic
See BulkPool.jpg for results

Share Creation
I create a Windows Share with a mount point of /mnt/BulkPool/SMB(ACL)/TestFiles(ACL). Keep defaults
At this point browsing to the IP address of the server shows TestFiles, but I have no access - which seems reasonable
I edit ACL the Samba share TestFiles. Apply the group Domain/Domain Admins as per Samba.jpg. My windows login I am using has domain admin rights at this point
At this point I think I should have access to TestFiles from my windows client (Windows 10) - but nope. Windows complains that I have no access

What am I doing wrong? This all seems obvious to me - its just not working

I am assuming, but haven't tested yet that I can Samba Share the Install dataset and NFS Share the same dataset at the same time which I shall test after the current roadblock

Attachments

• BulkPool.JPG
    BulkPool.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 237
  • Samba.JPG
    Samba.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 238

NugentS

MVP
OK - it turns out to be a fundamental misunderstanding on my part. I was treating FN as a Windows Server with security permissions and share permissions. It doesn't do that.
I did wonder why, after a friend had helped me work out why it wasn't working, there wasn't an option on the dataset to advertise as windows share and ditch the windows share option however as was pointed out that would limit the shares to a dataset rather than be able to share any folder inside a dataset.